Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need recommendation for strings (beginner)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Insidi0us, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    Hi, I'm buying the Yamaha RBX170 and I need a recommendation for some good strings (some guy told me it is the best to change your string to new ones from the strings that were on the bass on the store)
    I mostly like the Fusion sound like Gary Willis', Sean Malone's and Michael Manring's, and the Tech Metal sound like Tony Choy's, Doug Keyser's.
    So what is your recommendation?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    FAO : people who know about strings.

I've had an rbx170 and the pickup output is stupidly small.

Continue!

3. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    ummm... what 'bout the strings thing? :meh:
    well, I've heard that the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Stainless Steel are good. maybe they could be good for you too. but I dunno, wait for more replies...

4. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    mmm can anyone else tell me about these Ernie Ball strings?
    I wanna know if I should really buy them.

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, EB's can be had for cheap...they are good strings too. Also check for good deals on DM Blue Steels and GHS strings too. No need to buy exspensive strings when you are starting out.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    GHS Boomers suck hard. They die after a few hours of play... Mine died in my hands during band rehearsal.

7. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    This isn't going to be a very popular opinion, but those Rogue strings (Musician's Friend's house brand) aren't too bad for the price. I bought some on a whim and was pretty happy with them. They certainly aren't TI's or DRs, but they aren't junk either.

The worst strings I've ever had were GHS Bassics followed by Epiphone strings.

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I really like DR strings and Rotosounds. I just tried SIT strings for the first time last week and was very unhappy with them.