Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need recommendation on 4x4 PVC baffle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    There's got be something cheap I can get at Home Depot to close up a disemboweled 4"x4" tweeter hole... anybody got a recommendation?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have done this a couple of times. Cut a 4" circle of 3/4" plywood (fits flush in the hole) and on the back side of it put a 1/2" piece of plywood about 6x6 (easy with the speaker removed. The 1/2" plywood square holds the 3/4" circle in the hole. Spray paint the front flat black and from 5' away it can't be seen behind a grill.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey, thanks ESP.

I found a 4" square plastic cover plate for an electrical box - cost 78 cents and it's UL listed. Spray painted it black, you can barely see it but if you do it looks like a tweeter horn shape ;)

The 78 cent solution makes a big difference in the cab's sound already. But I'm sure (especially at high SPL) your solution will make the cab sound a lot tighter. I don't have access to a wood shop, so I'll see if the Depot will cut me off a 3/4" slice of dowel rod to glue in there... :cool: