Need recommendations for a cheap fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 20one, Jan 13, 2004.

1. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    lookin to mostly just play around with it but I want something that will produce good tone... after some lookin on musicians friend and a few other sites I couldn't really find anything within my budget except those POS Rogue basses...

Lookin to hopefully find somethin within a 200-300 price range
  2. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Get a used 80's bass, a Yamaha, Ibanez, or Aria Pro 2. Then mod it. I've got my sight on a fretless 80's yamaha for a ridiculous price of less than 300 euros.
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I bought a very nice MIJ Fender fretless jazz special on Ebay a couple months ago for $260 - you just have to keep your eyes open. ;)
  4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Maybe you can check the Brice Douglas fretless. Do you do five?
  5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    oh and maybe you want to check the gear sale forum here in talkbass. there is a kingston fretless for a nice price. If not sold that is.
  6. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I've been considering an inexpensive fretless myself. Brice is the one that's caught my eye. They sure look like nice basses and only $159.00! Wow! I've read a couple of good reviews but I'm really apprehensive about the quality for such a cheap bass. Anyone else have any experience with these basses?

Oh yeah, here's a link to the el cheapo fretless five:|1145365&PRID=1244645
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A few years ago I was in the same situaiton. December 31, 1999, I bought this bass for about $400:

I've been extremely happy with it. I would recommend Dean basses to anyone interested in a quality, giggable instrument for a low low price.

If I were buying today, I'd buy me one of those Brice V2 fretless basses.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I second this. I believe steve-o is trying to sell it.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd go with the Kingston or the Yammy.
  10. Someone's selling a Kingston fretless in the classifieds for $250...
  11. brice or essex get good reviews. Figjam has a fretless essex. I wanna get one too. Theyre only 110-140.
    Not bad. And your choice of f-board on the P's.
  12. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Carvin bolt-on kit.
  13. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    yeah I checked the Carvin bolt-on kits but their website said they're priced at about 600 bucks, out of my range...

I did check on the sales board... thing is I don't have the cash right now, just savin up and doin some sniffin around to find out what I should look for as far as price and quality go :)

I checked out the Brice fretless, looks pretty sweet and I might end up goin with that...

Thanks for the help folks!
  14. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Actually, they start out at $349.95 before options.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Doh beat me to it. Yes i have a fretles SPB-57 (maple fretboard). It is really nice. I thought it sounded good with the stock strings but man, just got D'Addario Chromes on and its mad nice. Also put a black pickguard on. [​IMG]
  16. mdsfjkga55

Nov 2, 2003
    Definately get the essex pictured above. Its quite inexpensive, and produces an amazing tone. If you get it, you will be like this guy: :bassist: - hes awesome!
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe and he knows first hand (hes the drummer in my band.)
  18. The award winning Yamaha BBN4F is a pretty amazing bass for it's price! I strongly recomend it.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to put in a word for the low end Yamahas. They make great fretless basses. A Peavey T-40 and few other Peaveys that I can't remember the names of would also be great buys , especially if they are used.
  20. If you want something a bit better than the essex basses, the Brice Douglas 5 string fretless is a killer quality bass. There is a Swamp Ash one for $299 (i have the fretted, even for just the body its worth it), and the blue alder version for $199. Also, although I've heard not so good reviews about the pickups (and I've purchased Bartolinis for mine before getting it), the stock p/ups are actually quite good (especially for a cheap bass), they are nice and punchy, have some growl, for a fretless they should also provide a nice smooth tone, and I've seen reviews saying it whines quite nicely!

Swamp Ash