Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need recommendations (please=)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ex-cowboy, May 7, 2001.

1. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    Hello, I'm quite new here, but I hope to eventually join your 'crew'.

First of all I need to get my own bass-guitar; I'm playing guitar, keyboards and stuff at the present time...

The thing is:
    I need recommendations for good bass-guitars, not too expensive! I've borrowed this Fender JazzBass from a friend, but I want one, which is not that big and heavy, and easy to play on. I want a bass-guitar that's funny to play on/with...

Hope for recommendations. THanks.

ex-cowboy

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well pardner, you have to realize that you're not looking at those itty bitty geetars when you're looking at a bass. :D

There are some "smaller" basses out there, the DeArmond Ashbory probably winning the prize for smallest. Anything short scale will feel less intimidating as well. Look at as many as you can find to play, but realize that this is a different instrument from the guitar, it is not played the same, it will not feel the same, and it's musical role is not the same.

If you seriously want to play bass, an instrument like that Fender Jazz you borrowed is as good a place to start as any other, but go play a bunch of different basses.

And remember that once you come down here you may never go back. :p

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcome!!

Agreed. Go to a store and try out some of their "low-dough" basses until you find one you are comfy playing and is well-suited for your wallet.

4. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    'lo, fellow-base-ers.

Thanks for those replies, which I also agree in. It is of course the smartest thing to do, but you see... there's not too many sorts to try at the stores around... So... :) hmm

I know that a bass is nothing like a guitar (not that a guitar is "better"...), anyways that JazzBass isn't the smallest one at the market. I tried a Yamaha once, and it felt better...

The thing I'm asking ya-bout is what sorta basses you recommend... what have you heard/experienced is better than others, who give good service, etc...

There is so much to choose from, you know...

But I'm headed to the nearest stores, see ya-round.

ex-cowboy

5. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Welcome.

What about a Gibson EB-O type? If Jack Bruce liked them they can't be all wrong! I found them to be too small for my tastes, but hey! If small is what you're looking for. And they're pretty cheap, too, Musician's friend sells them (can't remeber the price off-hand). And besides they look cool! IMHO.
    Good luck.

6. I wouldn't let the size thing bother you. I stand 5'5" and have average to smaller than average hands. Longest finger is 3.0" from web to tip. This is the finger you show in California to guys on the freeway when you want to get shot. But I digress.

I play a Fender RB5 with a C neck. It took a little practice to get used to, but I enjoy it very much.

If you go 4 string, the Jazz has the smaller A neck, and the P has the larger B and C neck, depending on the model. Don't let this scare you. Small handed players can do just fine on a C neck.

There is endless debate over J vs P. This is listener's choice. A J with rounds is much different sounding than a P with flats. I diddle my RB5 into something of a P sound by running Neck only, switches set to series-humbucking mode, and turning the tone control way down. It still ain't a real P tone, but is nice and thuddy.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, ex-cowboy.:)

By smaller do you mean a smaller bodied, lighter weight bass, or one with a shorter neck & scale?

How much $$$ are you looking to spend?

What kind of music will you be playing on your new bass?

If you can answer these questions it will be easier to make a few recommendations.

8. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    By smaller do you mean a smaller bodied, lighter weight bass, or one with a shorter neck &
    embellisher (and the rest), i can see we're talking $$$ here, hmm... you should also remember that the prices are NOT like in states where i'm at, which is norway.
    but let's see... maximum price, not more than 4-5000 NOK, which you can divide by 10 and you'll find the am. dollar-value. $500 then, max. (remember, the basses are more expensive here than in the states. btw, Bush is a whore.)
    by smaller (than the fender jazzbass (mexico) i've got two floors down) i mean a not-as-heavy bass, which is good to play on. (i'm not the biggest guy around, but my fingers are normally sized.) what is important is that the bass is comfortable, which i do not consider the fender as. and i want with normal scale (frets). but perhaps fretless would be cool!!? haven't though seriously about that before. ! .
    music i will be playing:
    i like lots of different sorts of music, and will also be playing quite variously. from radiohead and primal scream to miles davis... perhaps mozart as well, i dunno. i want one that fits all that. :)
    the fender jazzbass is too heavy and i do not find it comfortably playing. anyways, 'the truth is out there.'
    later

9. Hi ex-cowboy and welcome to the board.

I think you have conflicting requirements.

I went the EB0 route when I swapped from 6 string to bass all those years ago. I did it precicely because the scale lengths are the same (as I remember) so that the transition would be the easiest possible.

Whether you'll get an EBO for small $$ is quite another thing: you certainly won't get an true Gibson cheaply. And I dunno whether or not there are EBO clones about, other than Eppiphones o' course.

My bass is a Squier Affinity P bass that I paid £75 for, second user. It's not the best bass in the world, that's for sure, but it was quite cheap. Actually it's OK. It's heavy. And it's neck heavy which doesn't help the playing at all - but that can be overcome.

There are plenty of low end basses about. (I too like the Yamahas.) There are, I think, low priced Arias, Peaveys, Squiers (Bronco bass), Yamahas and so on. And how about the Dean Edge bass. I understand they're good and quite well priced.

You say Fenders are uncomfortable. Perhaps all basses will bethus at first. It might just be that you're not used to the playing position / stance required when on bass as opposed to 6 string. It will certainly take some getting used to whichever bass you choose.

Best of luck.

Rockin John

10. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    Thanks for all the rapid replies.

It seems as the environment between people here is very good!

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    You might check out www.musicyo.com and look at the Steinberger Spirit models. They are very reasonably priced and deliver decent value for the money.

Bones

12. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    ... when i eventually buy it definitely will be one that i can tune, not like those head-less. and they're ugly too! :D

the steinberger spirit gt was not the best looking i've seen, though the spirit gu wasn't that bad.

i want a bass that looks a bit woody - made of wood, sounds clean and is not the biggest one on the market (but far from the smallest as well).

now... further suggestions out there?

13. ex-cowboy

ex-cowboy

May 7, 2001
    and feel free to give me the names of (wellknown) good brands, that gives you quality and service.

14. embellisher

In your price range, there are a couple of lightweight basses.

The Yamaha RBX260, and the Ibanez Soundgear, either the SR300 or SR400 series.

If you go with the Ibanez, make sure that you get one with P/J pickups. The Ibanez Soundgears with the soapbar pickups(DX, DX5, etc) are weak and uneven sounding to my ears.

Both of these basses will have pertty slim necks, and should be considerably lighter than a Jazz bass.

If I were in your position, I would get the Yamaha, but play them both. The most important thing is to get something that you are happy with, not what I or someone else likes.

Good luck!:)

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Danelectro Hodad :D

16. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You might like this one.

http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=Fen0259500537&uid=C164338600FD11D482D800508BF0057

17. embellisher

MJB, that is a good suggestion as well, but I'm pretty sure that with shipping and import duty it would be way out of his price range.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bush is a whore? Aren't all politicians? What's your point?

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ex-cowboy,

Welcome to the world "down under"!:D

I understand your dilemma. But, I don't have an immediate recommendation for you beyond this: remember whose money you're spending! Some ideas have been tossed around, which you may or may not like. Unfortunately, one man's glory is another's crap (or whatever the saying is...) Thus, I'd say go spend some time getting to know the market. Go to some different stores in your area if you can. Read other people's threads here on Talkbass and see if you pick up any ideas. Talk to friends of yours, if you can. You should go so far as to immerse yourself in ideas and brand names in your price range. And, most importantly, PLAY 'EM ALL!!! That's ultimately the best way to get ideas for what you like and don't;) It's too hard to make a judgement of how to spend your hard earned money based on other people's opinions...and, not wise, either;)

And, by the way: we Talkbassers are a pretty intellectual bunch! We LIVE to discuss issues until they are totally dead, and then some. And, we also pretty much understand that by making statements such as "Bush is a whore" or "Brand [X] bass sucks" tells us nothing except that you don't appreciate them. Opening up a discussion by telling us what you like and why is favorable. Making a blanket statement without backing it up is not favorable...just food for thought:)

20. embellisher

Great post, RAM.

ex-cowboy, those are words of wisdom.

We like a good debate here at Talkbass, but there are places for that, such as the Off Topic forum. This forum is for discussing basses.

If you want to talk about Bush possibly trading his sexual favors for monetary gain, that's great, but give reasons why, not just a blanket statement. And do it in Off Topic. See you down there.;)