need resources for EQing!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Jun 9, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002

I just bought a new GK 700RB and I'm having trouble finding the sound I want in amongst those settings. Any websites or any settings that you use.

I play mainly rock, slap, or anything else that grooves.

I have a geddy Lee sig jazz bass.

right now at the moment I'm boosting my hi mids at 3 o'clock and my bass at 1:30. And I'm hearing that I sound kinda honky when I slap.

I like to only use the contour, boost and presence to add to the already existing eq setup
    not base my eq setup around these settings.
  2. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Ok, not sure if this is what you want to hear but this is what I was told when I was having the same problems.
    Start by setting everything flat, no boost, no cut. Play. Figure out what you like and don't like about that sound. Then start the laborious process of tweaking just a little bit, find out likes/dislikes about that sound. Then tweak a little bit more.

Rinse. Repeat.

This had 2 bonuses for me:
    a: it taught me what i like and dislike about each individual tweak i made, helped me to dial in any specific sound i was looking for.

b: i became intimately in tune with my gear, i knew just what knob or lever to tweak to get the exact sound i was looking for.

I know it's not as easy as going to a website or manual and taking their stock settings and going from there, but hey, we're in this for fun and learning, right?
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    ...and you know what sucks? You'll probably have to do it all again to adjust to a live setting involving other musicians. My solo "at home practicing" eq levels are much different than my live eq levels. Guitars in particular seem to cancel out some of my sound in similar frequencies and I have to tweak knobs to cut through.
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, high mids add honk to your sound. I set my GK400rb flat, with the countour and presence straight up, and vary my sound by my pickup blend and a very small amount of EQ on my bass. I find that for a funky fingerstyle sound, I get the best sound by about 75% neck pickup 100% bridge. I reverse that for a little more bottom end, and if I need any more boost the bass on my instrument slightly. I set both full on for a good slap sound.

I think flat is the way to go, with just a little bit of boost or cut for preference.
  5. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    As a former GK employee, I would recommend you cut the high-mid a bit with the contour flat and boost the bass a little. That was my setting. Hope this helps!:)
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ....and you know what else sucks? You'll need to do it again for every room you play in.

But don't think of it as a chore. EQ is a very powerful tool. The better you understand it, the better your bass sound gets. And the more you play with it the easier it becomes.
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002

are you saying to cut the high mid from the 3 o' clock setting?
  8. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Keep it at 9:00. That always took care of the honk for me. Turn the amp up in volume and then take advantage of that headroom in there. You should have a honk-free world then. Hope this helps.