Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need reviews on Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Nov 4, 2003.

1. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Hello

I am seriosly considering about buying a Squier Jazz bass because I cannot afford the Fender version. I would like your opinions of the bass's sound,look and playibility.

thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do a search on Squier basses. Brace youself. (They suck)

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    They don't suck, they're fine. They're good for what you pay for. My brother owns one and he has no problems with it. One thing that I like about them is their playability. The J-Bass design just feels nice. That's a good comment from me because I usually play basses with one MM or two soapbars. I think they sound just as good as a Fender Standard J-Bass. So if Fender's your thing, go for it!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For what you pay for, you can get a fine Essex, and id take an Essex oveer a Squier any way you seerve it.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had a Squire P-bass Special and it was a very fine bass. It was MII and surprised the hell out of the other musicians I jammed with because it sounded very good and had a strong P-like tone. To dismiss Squire out of hand is rather harsh. Like other entry-level basses you will find that the quality varies from bass to bass. I looked at Essex and found poor ones and excellent ones.

I know that if you purchase Essex from Rondo you will get exceptional service and likely a nice bass for the dollars. Recommending Essex as an alternative is a positive thing. However my experience with Fender customer service on Squire gear has also been positive. They replaced a defective neck on my daughter's Strat without delay and put a better neck on it than what it came with (based on initial quality comparisons). So far the new neck has remained stable over the last two years. So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Squire bass. For both brands I think you just need to play a few different individual guitars before you buy. In which case a person could be happy with either.

Just my $0.02 worth. For the original poster, walkinglines30, if the Squire does it for you - buy it. But try everything in your price range first before making your final decision. Our opinions should matter very little as you have to live with the purchase. Buy what you think will make you happy and just play the bass :)

Dan :bassist:

6. The squire Jazz Bass is made by Fender, it's just a lower end model.

You can read a few reviews at ...............

http://www.bgra.net/reviews/squierbyfender-jazzb-1-rvw.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/Squier-Jazz-Bass-01.html

These are written by people who have owned and played this bass.

I would much rather have the opinion of someone who has actually played this bass, then from someone who merely has a preconceived notion of what is best for you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    thank you very much to all!

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this - take a look at used. If you don't mind a few dings and scratches, for the price of the new Squier, you probably could get a used Fender.

I bought a used Fender 15 years ago for relative peanuts, and it still is my main bass.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...or a used Squier. In a recent conversation with a redneck xenophobe who wanted nothing to do with a bass unless it was of either American or European origin, I took a bit of smug pride in telling him, as I'm telling everyone now...

My 80's era MIJ Squier Jazz is among the nicest Fender Jazz instruments you'll *ever* lay hands on.

Period. With years of fret wear, the neck still sets up and plays better throughout the full range than the minty MTD Heir I just bought. Neck is super stable, no "serious" dead spots, this is simply an awesome bass (I have upgraded pups and some hardware, fwiw).

I've certainly played more recently produced Squier instruments that I thought were pretty lousy, but some of the earlier Squiers (not just mine) were quite nice... so I guess my point is that not all Squiers are equal, and blanket generalizations are bound to get some crotchety retorts...

;)

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what kind of price range were you looking at? That would shed alot of light on the Squier vs. Essex vs. Used MIM debate

11. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Well i live in Canada and things are expensive here.I pretty confident im going to get the Squier Jazz bass, it's $360 in canadian dollers $390 if I want the sunburst.

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Does anyone know of Rondo's shipping cost to Canada?

13. i had a squier for aproximately 12 months. the pickups "always" sounded cheap, noisey and droping in and out with regards to the volume. i had to put duct tape on my volume pot and mess with wiring to get the bass to stop losing volume. pickguard fit almost right. it held tune pretty good. intonation wasnt too bad. it had no range in regards to style, if and only if it is to be used in a punk or "hard rock band" would the squier tone be remotely desired. as far as introductory basses go the yamahas are the way to go, i would suggest getting a yamaha they are close to only 30 bucks more (in bakersfield) for about 100 bucks more bass. i had a cheapy used p j yamaha for only 150, and i loved it.squier slap tone is badong, but slap spacing is ok. i would seriously wait to get a used fender or yamaha, though the rock bass by warwick is infinetly better and even cheaper in most cases just harder to find. in fact get a rock bass they go for as low as 300 american in california, and they are good. i hated my squier. it had no tone. but it made me know the difference between the instrument and the person as far as how versitile a bass is sonicaly.

waiting for my fretless seven
    bye bye scholarship money!:bawl:

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'm also in Canada. Not sure where you are but I found the prices on Squires to be slighty better at Yamaha Center. Long and McQuade sometimes will have a sale on Squires as well.

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't but St. John's music does carry Squire and they can be cheaper than L&M.
    Good luck with the purchase.

16. I have never owned a squire, but two friends of mine have owned P-basses. Both of them had problems with buzzing on thr first fret of the G string. Bass Player Mag. studied lower end packages with a combo amp, tuner, etc. and they approved the Hartke package. It's a solid bass. The new squires just don't feel substantial. Their reliability is in question, but that is true with any cheap bass. Take your time, and i,f you can, borrow a bass until you can buy a decent one. You will be much happier. I have grown out of my own bass and regret I din't wait to buy a better one. (I am now in college and can't buy anything)

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I guess it all adds up to - don't let your eyes get ahead of yours ears. Image does not equal music quality.

18. Squiers generally vary greatly in quality between individuals... Mine is WONDEROUS. I've had it for at least five years now. I plan on putting american P pickups in it as soon as I find a pair cheap enough, and I'm sure nobody'll be able to tell the difference sonically between mine and a cheaper american. Compared to the new "highway 1" american p-basses, my old squier is probably better as far as materials... but the pickups suck. That's really the only problem I have with it right now. (That, and the fact that it is impossible to find the right color to paint it) I also plan on buying an SX from rondo soon, if you check the essex megathread, (search for it) there's more than 60 pages worth of essex praising... You KNOW this means SOMETHING is going on.... something GOOD... I also would recommend checking used MIMs. I'm stealing this line from somebody, but: "Do a search, you'll find that here at talkbass, we love our mexicans."

Keep in mind that its your money. You won't get as much back for it as you pay initally. Here's what I reccommend you do, it may end up helping you make a better decision. Try EVERY bass in your price range at whatever store you go to, and DON'T buy anything. Go back a few days later, try everything again, and then decide. The ones you liked first will probably be the ones you like the second time, and the gap between will give your mind and your fingers time to figure out exactly which one is best for you.

Don't buy anything because it looks cool.

19. Now that i think about it, its more like four years that i've had my squier....