1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need rig recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassinplace, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Good day all,

I have yet to leave the bedroom with my bass playing, but what I do is to play along to favorite songs on mp3 as well as instructional cd's/dvd's. My dilemma at this point is I have cheap equipment and as my ears become more discerning, I am finding it less and less tolerable.

Let me describe me current system. It's quite ghetto, primitive actually. I have a small ampeg BA 108 connected to my computer which I listen to through headphones 100% of the time when practicing. The headphones are/were pretty decent Sennehiser's (can't think of the model number). Now they just sound all fuzzy.

This was fine for awhile, but as I get into learning more intricate and challenging songs, the tone is becoming less and less acceptable, almost untolerable.

Any recommendations on gear to get to improve all of this would be most greatly appreciated. Just for practicing at home, not playing out. Thanks so much! :)

2. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm

not sure if your cans are bad or if you have a problem ealier in the chain. get a headphone practice amp thing like this cafe walter.

also stuff like this http://tascam.com/product/mp-bt1/ but that has you listening to media of that device, while the cafewalter takes a mini input from anywhere and mixes it with your bass.

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The Cafe Walter is interesting and the price is right, but I'm not sure it would connect to my pc, which I need for CD's/DVD's. I'm going to try and contact the mfg. and see what they say. Looks pretty cool though, thanks! Anyone got any more suggestions? I can use all the help I can get!

4. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    you take the headphone output from the computer and connect it to the cafewalter w/ a aux/aux (mini/mini... 1/8-1/8in cable)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=840312&Q=&is=REG&A=details

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I use a Tascam GB 10. Not perfect but it gets the job done.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The Tascam stuff looks pretty cool too, but those definitely look like they won't plug into a pc. Right?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I plug guitar/bass directly into my laptop's mic input. Listen with powered sub/sat computer speakers or headphones. Adjust input with guitar/ bass controls. Works fine for me. Also record with a couple of free programs.

9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    no, the idea is that you'd use a cd or mp3 and thus it would be self contained. the unit does everything most people need it to do.

10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, I just ask because I also have dvd's I play along with. Ideally, I'd like the setup to handle all three. The Tascam does look pretty good for what it can do.