Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need rmx 1450 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ok, so I'm using a QSC RMX 1450, with a sansamp RBI, into a genz benz 410 and eden d115 cab. Tonight I was playing a kinda small outdoor gig, and my power amp was clipping almost the whole show, I had to keep turning down until i could barely hear myself. I let someone borrow it before my band, and then, I daisy chained the cabs together and it clipped, but when my band played, I used both outputs, and it clipped even more. What could be wrong? Or how do the switches need to be set in the back for 2 cabs. Also, if my battery on my bass is low, could that make it clip worse? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have another show tomorrow (tonight). :help:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Do you have an electronic crossover? If not you're sending highs into the amp channel driving the 15 that it won't reproduce, and lows into the 10s channel that they can't reproduce, and all that power is simply being burned up in the driver voice coils as heat. Your should have a crossover that diverts the lows into the 15 channel and the highs into the 10s channel. A good frequency to cross over at would be 200Hz to start, play with that to see what sounds best. That amp doesn't have so much power that you can afford to waste half of it keeping the stage warm.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I don't have one, but i've been thinking about getting one. Is there anything else I could do, or would you just suggest using one cab until I get a crossover??

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Until you do maximize your output by running the boxes in parallel with the amp output bridged for a low impedance load. You're still wasting half your power, but so arranged it gives you more power to begin with.

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    So for now, run it in paralell/bridged mono?

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    and parallel as in parallel inputs?

7. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    does anyone else have anything to add to this?

8. Is this the first time its clipped?

I think you should change your battery before you do any of this, if its low. Sending a low signal to the power amp could make the amp work a lot harder causing clipping sooner. Anyone back me up on this? cause I'm not positive.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    When the batt gets low in my Warwick it certainly starts to sound like it is clipping no matter what volume I am at.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm negative. ;)

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, don't parallel the inputs for bridged mono. And make sure the low frequency filter on channel 2 is switched off as well.