Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need rock recommendations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by megl, Jan 16, 2006.

1. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    Hi

I'm a guitarist picking up the bass (yeah, yeah - same old story :) ) and need some recommendations on who to listen to.

I like stuff like classic rock and newer hard rock and stoner.

Obviously I'm checking John Paul Jones out! I like what Nick did with qotsa and also dig Jeordie White (Twiggy R) with Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle.

I'm a pick player and because of my guitar playing, technique won't be the biggest problem. I primarily gotta learn to think like a bass player and to 'lock' into a groove with a drummer.

Thanks in advance!

/megl

2. Welcome to TalkBass. Well... if you're into Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle the obvious recommendation would seem to be to check out Justin Chancellor with Tool. He's an exellent pick style player with a great tone who locks up well with one of the best drummers in rock. Interesting and very creative player. I'd also check out a band called Tomahawk. They've got the bass player from the Melvins, who's name escapes me but he lays out some quintesensial driving pickstyle rock lines. He's got probably my favorite pick style tone. Not to mention they have Mike Patton on vocals, whom I find to be one of the most talented and interesting out there. Oh, and if you're going to be playing bass you should check out Les Claypool from Primus at some point. Really distinctive bass playing, to put it mildly.:)

3. Yeah!

4. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    Thanks SFjonstarr. Justin Chancellor is a very good recommendation - thanks! I like Tool but have never checked them out in depth ... now may be a good time for that ;-)

I searched around - his name is Kevin Rutmanis and I will definetely check him out. I dig the Melvins and dig everything the man - Mike Patton - is involved in. At the Roskilde Festival here in Denmark this summer I saw him three times performing with different setups: Fantomas (with Buzz from Melvins btw), some Japanese string ensemble and with Rahzel.

Yeah - him and Brain put together ... crazy stuff! Perhaps I will wait a bit before I try to play some of that stuff ;-) Saw Primus live once - amazing!

Thanks again!!

And keep 'em coming ;-)

/megl

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The easiest way is to play the bass lines on what you already know on guitar. On a lot of songs they are close.
    I did the opposite, I refuse to play w/ a pick because that would just prolong me learning finger style, but that's me, and I had to take lessons to get it right. I thought I had it, but was proven otherwise.
    I'm just telling you what I did, if you think your better off w/ a pick, by all means go for it.
    Zep II has great Bass licks on it.

6. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    I definetely hear you, and I'm trying not to close my eyes towards anything.

But the case is right now, that I'm not aiming to be a allround bass player - that's what I am as a guitarist. I can fit into many contexts and have lots of gigs.

What I'm trying to achieve on bass is to play the stuff I like and get really good at that. The reason I pick is not because it's easier, but because I like the sound better and because most of my favorite bass players in the genres I'm aiming for do that.

That being said - I will certainly keep your words in mind!!

And I'll check zep II out - thanks!

/megl

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You'd love my guitar collection: PRS Modern Eagle, PRS Custom 22 20th aniversary, Les Paul Studio wine red. 50th anivesary Mahognay body Strat, Martin D-16GL and a Mexi Strat I pur Seymour Duncan JR jr Rails on. Plus my Marshall Stack. I play both.

8. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    And your address again ... ??

Hehe - just kidding ;-) Actually I've never really been into PRS ... but I do love a good strat :)

/megl

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have a Doberman and lots of guns.:D

No but you'd love this Mohagany Strat, It's red, black pick guard, and black headstock w/ silver lettering. It's pretty.

10. If you're looking to stay within your comfort zone, then you already know the bassists in those bands.

If you want to stretch it out a bit, and maybe expose yourself to different techniques and stylistic elements...then you could consider music that is possibly not something you ordinarily listen to, even while staying in the "rock" realm.

Geddy Lee of Rush is pretty highly regarded in most rock circles. A big influence on many many rock players. Some guys will say he sucks, but that can be said for everyone. Plus, those guys are idiots :)

In a similar vein is Chris Squire of Yes.

Good that you noted JPJ. Another rock bass icon. Truly the wizard behind the curtain of Led Zep.

A towering pioneer who influenced almost every "first generation" electric bassist, and therefore, filtered down into the styles of those influenced by them, etc., is James Jamerson, who played on just about every Motown song.

Motown may not exactly be your cup of tea, nor would it be considered "rock" by today's definition. But let me tell you, if you actually listen to the bass, you'll be surprised at its complexity at times, and how some lines could just as easily accompany a harder rocking style.

Another rock icon is John Entwhistle of The Who - not someone I've personally studied but one of the "elite" nonetheless. Also in that category would be Paul McCartney.

The list is endless really - it's all up to what you want to learn.

11. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    pick players....
    Jason Newsted ck out the ep recorded after he joined metallica(garage days revisited)
    Rex Brown..any Pantera cd's

12. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    Cristo, thanks for your answer!!

Yeah - him and that MONSTER behind the drums!

I have to check out some Motown basslines! Actually, I hear quite a bit Motown in JPJ's style.

I know - but I was just hoping for a couple of good recommendations, that I hadn't thought of myself ... just like the ones I got from you, so thanks again ;-)

/megl

13. CygnusX1

CygnusX1

Jan 19, 2006
    Check out the Violent Femmes.

I'm a HUGE Primus fan, and Less Claypool is excellent.

I may be the biggest Rush fan in the world, and Geddy is brilliant.

But I don't know of any other bassist who dominates his band like Brian Ritchie dominates the Violent Femmes.

It may not fit your style, but it's interesting to note that he plays "lead bass" on a lot of their songs.

14. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    As far as modern rock goes...

Ra (pronounced "rah")

www.purevolume.com/ra

they have some killer songs! i suggest "call my name"

15. The best modern rock band with the best modern rock n roll bassist : www.pro-rock.com Clutch and Dan Maines.

For some good oldies:

Lee Dorman from Captain Beyond

Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy

Lemmy in his Hawkwind years.

Berry Oakley from the Allman Brothers.

John Wetton from King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, and Roxy Music.(this guy defines prog bass tone)

Boz Burrell from King Crimson and Bad Company

Some New guys:

Scott Reeder from Kyuss , The Obsessed and assorted other stuff.

Bruce Falkinburg from The Hidden Hand

and the bassist from Oedipus.

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The first 3 Danzig albums would be great for you to learn rock bass to. They're practically instructional tapes IMHO.

17. megl

megl

Jan 15, 2006
    Thanks guys - great recommendations still ticking in ;-)

18. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I'll add Stone Temple Pilots to the mix. Robert Deleo plays some great bass lines, pick too, though not always I don't think. I especially like the first 2 albums, but certainly check out the later albums as well.

Failure - Fantastic Planet has some great rock bass IMHO. Great tone too. The song "Heliotropic" has a great bass line. Greg Edwards and Ken Andrews share bass duty on the record I believe.

This crosses into more the Metal area, but check out Mudvayne's first album LD50. The style may not be what you dig (no pun intended), but I'll be damned if that is not one of the best metal albums I have heard. Awesome bass playing. Great musicianship all around if you ask me. Certainly beyond my chops (for now).

I have to give more support to Nine Inch Nails and also clarify that Jeordie did not write nor play those bass lines on the album. Thats all Trent. Honestly I think Mr. Reznor is a heck of a bass player. That guy comes up with some of the catchiest bass lines. It sounds to me that a lot of his songs are written on bass.

QOTSA!!! Hell yeah. Lovin those guys right now. I recomend their new live album.

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Jeff Ament from PJ is an all around very good bassist. Alive has a great bass and if you someday want to try some fretless listen to Oceans.

My favourite pick player is John Entwistle who was even better wheh he throw the pick out and used his thunderous fingers :bassist:

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd recommend finding your local "Classic Rock" format FM radio station and listening.