Need Roscoe Info ASAP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Mar 20, 2003.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm ready to take the plunge and need some advice both pro and con on these bad boys. I'm torn between an LG and a SKB 3005 model. All you Roscoe owners step up express your thoughts good or bad. I currently play a Lakland 55-94 and a Warwick Streamer LX5, so how do the Roscoes stack up playing and sound wise????
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have an LG 3000, and personally I'm partial to the smaller body of the LGs. If I were buying or commisioning a new one, I think it would depend on the body wood as to which I would pick. I do like the smaller body, though.
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    feel free to call me and ill give you my humble opinion- regardless of where you get it- peace, Adrian
    Access Bass
    1 800 361 9927
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very fine basses. I own three. I personally prefer the SKB bodies. Call Adrian. He'll shoot straight with ya!
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the smaller LG sits on my lap perfectly, and yea, i prefer the smaller body. but either one is great. just depends what you want.
  6. hmm...i kinda just wanna call adrian jsut for fun ^_^

- w00t
  7. i can't wait till my skb is done! i've never played either style, but personally i don't like the looks of the lg bodies. i was never a fan of slanted pickups either. i really have no say in this matter, i just get so excited when i see a thread about roscoe! ;)
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you have been emailed!- peace- A.
  9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I agree. The SKB IMO looks more like a bass to me. The LG looks more guitarish. (Is that a word?)

Either way, you've made a great choice. If you go with a SKB and are getting a multistringed bass, you may want to consider the Spanish Cedar body. It won't be as heavy as the Ash and gives it a warmer tone too.

Good Luck!!!
  10. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    For 5 strings or less I like the LG. Otherwise I like the SKB.
    I use to hate the LG because it looked asymmetrical, but I've grown to really dig it. Soundwise, I don't believe that there is much of a difference.
  11. yes, i ordered the spanish cedar body thanks to the advice of mr. garcia! :) buckeye burl top, sapwood purpleheart fretboard, black hardware, bartolini electronics... after ordering it, i realised i think i got a 5 string version of fretless5erfan's (is that right, drew?) 6 string.
  12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've played Roscoe basses now for 7 years and during that time I also owned a Lakland 55-02 and a Warwick Thumb Bolt-0n 5-string bass. They are all excellent basses. The Lakland played great but just didn't cut through the mix like the Roscoe. The Warwick sounded great but the neck IMO was just too thick (chunky) and the string spacing was too tight for finger style playing. IMO it was also limited to just a couple of good tones.
    The Roscoe's IMO have the best of both worlds. The necks play great and the tone selections are unlimited. They really cut through a live mix. Granted, the 55-02 is not a USA Lakland and the Thumb Bolt-on 5 is not a Warwick Streamer but I'd say they are real close.
    As far as the LG verses the SKB style, IMO it just comes down to personal preference. I've owned 2 LG models and 1 SKB model and I just don't hear much difference.
    As a side note Keith told me that the LG stands for "Little Girl". He stated that many years ago he was asked to design a bass for a girl and she wanted a small body style. The result was the LG style body. Players liked it so much it became his 4 & 5 string bass STD body style. The SKB prefix stands for Skyscraper Bass. He didn't say what that meant but maybe its because of its "Towering sound" or because it's far above other basses. :D
  13. mhart

Jan 19, 2003
    Daleville, Ala. USA
    I prefer the LG body style. It's light (especially if you opt for the Spanish cedar body) and is quite comfortable to play sitting down. I do like the look of the slanted pickups - looks sort of "racey". Soundwise, I don't believe that there's any difference - hey ..... it's a Roscoe. Nuff said! Hehe! :bassist:
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...I highly recommend an LG-3005 with a Flame Koa top over Swamp Ash body, with a really nice figured Bolivian Rosewood fingerboard...

15. mhart

Jan 19, 2003
    Daleville, Ala. USA
    Hey Gard! You may not remember me, but I'm the guy from Alabama that was at one time close to purchasing a MTD Grendel from you - the "pilsner" (amber) one that you used to have. Turns out that I was offered a fantastic deal on a new Roscoe that I just couldn't refuse - it's a LG3005 ; spanish cedar body with exhibition grade flame maple top ; birdseye maple fingerboard ; ivory nut ; gold Hipshot hardware ; 18v Bartolini package ; transparent dark amber finish. I like the new one that you have in stock - gorgeous fingerboard! I suspect that it won't be in the store for very long.:bassist:
  16. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Alright guys I'm convinced but I'm having trouble choosing between 2 different Roscoe.

Here they are. Let me know which one does it for you.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The SKB. I don't like the LG pickups. The top on that SKB is killer.
  18. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Put the neck from the LG onto the SKB and you would have a beauty. But out of those 2 i would take the SKB.
  19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The LG is beautiful! Great looking top and F/B! I love the SKB also, as a matter fact I just purchased a fretless SKB 3005 with the (spalted)Box Elder Burl top and as Keith claims, pictures don't do it justice!
    I'd go for the LG. I'm not sure why a lot of players don't like the look of the LG style. I love it! It has that ROSCOE LOOK rather than looking like every other bass out there. Of course I did get my fretless in the SKB style but I did that more for variety.
    Which ever one that you choose, you'll be the envy of your bass community!:D
  20. mhart

Jan 19, 2003
    Daleville, Ala. USA
    :bassist: The LG mo'n!! The LG has the body style, along with the slanted pickups, that distinguishes it from any other bass ....... the "Roscoe signature", if you will. Between the two that you've got posted, the LG is the more attractive of the two - gorgeous fingerboard! Go for it!