Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Series/Parallel setup diagrams/schematics for a P-BASS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Sep 28, 2005.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Well, yes, I have searched the forums, and I couldn't find a schematic fit specifically for a P-BASS, all I've seen is Jazz bass. The reason I'm looking for this is because the Jazz bass has 2 volume pots and a tone pot. And of course, the P Bass has 1 volume and 1 tone.

Is it possible to blend in between parallel and series? or do you have to use a switch?

So if anyone can provide a picture/schematic/diagram of a Series/Parallel diagram for a Precision Bass, I'd appreciate it!

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Does you P pickup have 4 wires? If not, then you can't do the series/parallel mod anyway. If it's got 4 wires, a la DiMarzio and some Barts, then get the one from the appropriate website as it will also have the correct wiring colours for tham maufacturer.

3. So this is just impossible without modding the pickup to have two more wires?
    (I figured it was best to revive this dinosaur post than start new one)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yup, that is why it took one post to close this thread.

Probably would've started a new thread myself, but hey at least you used the search function, nobody can fault you there.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What are you talking about? A P-bass pickup is TWO pickups and except for the molded one piece jobbies always have 4 wires!

The series/parallel connection is then whether you wire the two halves in series or parallel. No problem. I've got mine wired to a push-pull on the volume knob.

You can't "blend" the two parts of a P-bass pickup because each half only picks up two strings. A "blend" would therefore only adjust the loudness between E and A vs D and G. Something which you do not want to do except when you set it during a setup using the pickup height screws. Hence all you can do is switch between series (deeper tone) and parallel (thinner brighter tone).

I like having the choice but usually it sits in series (standard P-bass wiring) with volume pushed in.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    parallel P-bass pickups are mostly useless; they sound kinda the same, just wimpier.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I bought a used set of Dimarzios with a s/p switch and found this to be the main difference as well.

8. no, I have three different sets, and they are all wired where they have 2 wires coming off them and one in between, connecting them. although, i can see inside them where i can disconnect them and make them two separate pickups by adding 2 more wires to where the one in the middle goes. however, I think Ill pass on this because it seems like too much work for something that wont even sound good and be a waste of time

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I'm in the process of changing all of my guitars and bass to have one of the pots with a push switch to change the pickup wiring from series to parallel. I had a hard time finding diagrams applicable to my instruments -- didn't want to change the individual humbuckers from series to parallel, but both of them.

Since they're all wired differently (one 4-wire, one 2-wire, and then the bass which I haven't even cracked open yet) I just merged this diagram with whatever was applicable to the instrument.

Once you figure out signal flow, it's pretty quick from there. Does this help at all?

4:16am caffeine pinging -- orange splices and fetal spooning.