1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED SERIOUS HELP WITH MY DEAN!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Theshiggityshwa, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Theshiggityshwa

Theshiggityshwa

Jan 4, 2012
    So, long story short...
    Can I fix something like this?
    ZM2A+STOCKB-2.

ZM2A+STOCKB-1.

I've had my Metal man for 3 years now. I dropped it playing at a gig one night and this has me sweating bullets. The problem with this is that the neck actually tilts to the right causing an offset of the strings. I need to know if something like this can be fixed because I put alot of time and money into buying new parts and pickups. I don't really feel like simply giving it away. :crying:

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You should take that to a tech to have checked out. IMO, it can be fixed.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It can be fixed. Does it need to be?

First the problem needs to be sorted out. Are the cracks merely in the finish? That is a relatively simple touch up. Left alone it, will not affect the playability of the instrument. If the cracks are in the wood it is a structural problem. Clamps and glue are in order.

Either way, it is a job only for the seriously handy. If you close your eyes and imagine "tool" and a picture of a sledgehammer pops into view please seek professional assistance for this repair.

4. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    there is maybe the possibility of glueing in that bolt on neck? hear a few have done that for stability... why not to fix yours.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If the problem is structural, gluing the neck in the pocket does not address the problem at the root. The cracks must be opened, glue applied, clamped, and cleaned up. That is most easily accomplished with the neck out of the pocket.

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Fixing the neck offset is relatively simple. Loosen the strings, loosen the neck bolts, move the neck back where it should be, tighten the neck bolts and tune the strings. The crack is a different matter as others have stated.

mech

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah, take it to a good luthier or get a new body and just transplant all of your part onto it.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    He said that he dropped the bass then the cracks showed up. It could be just finish cracks, but it could just as easily be in the wood in this case.

EDIT: if/when you do get it repaired, I highly recommend some form of strap lock to prevent this from happening again. Assuming that you dropped it because the strap fell off...

9. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I didn't see the second section of text; I suppose a great deal depends on how high the thing fell and on what & in what position. Shame, I suppose it's a real toss-up.

10. Theshiggityshwa

Theshiggityshwa

Jan 4, 2012
    I would also like to know how to remedy the slight tilt in the neck. The neck slants to the right which offsets the E and G string. I've tried solving it by removing the neck and mixing baking soda with super glue inside the screw holes and placing the neck back on but it still has the slant. That's the biggest problem I have. I'd like to know if an offset fretboard can be straightened.
    Also, when I got the bass, the truss rod was stripped. Should I just go all out and replace a lot of the hardware?

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    By "tilt" do you mean that the result is that the string margin on the edge of the neck is not equal on both sides?

12. I think I'd step back and think for a minute. Is it really worth the time and expense it is going to take to handle this problem? It is an inexpensive instrument that appears to need quite a bit of work; I don't think I'd do it if it was me but that's just me.

13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Is the neck bent, or just shifted in the pocket? If its bent you're SOL.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Agreed, you need to figure out whether those are finish cracks or actual cracked wood.

I glued cracks in the wood which appeared similar to those in a Univox Hi-Flyer type body....it required opening up the cracks enough to get Titebond into the gaps, then some creative clamping.

PA040102.

PA040103.

15. Theshiggityshwa

Theshiggityshwa

Jan 4, 2012
    It's shifted in the pocket.

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Loosen the screws holding the neck in, grab neck, and pull it back straight. Then tighten the screws again. Check the string alignment and repeat if necessary. Most fenders need this done, so it's no big deal.

17. Theshiggityshwa

Theshiggityshwa

Jan 4, 2012
    I've tried this already. countless times. The neck still moves over. I've tried the super glue/ baking soda thing. It still moves over.

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    How about a pic from the front showing string offset and another of the potential neck pocket gaps.

19. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    +1....