Need settings help with SWR SM900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Hello, I need to boost my mids and know next to nothing about frequencies. Can someone tell me exactly what and where I need to set my semi parametric EQ? I have no idea where to boost or cut. I need ALOT more punch.

Secondly, where should I have my gain at? I like a full tubey sound, but still need to push my mids a bit more as my Marcus Miller Fender Jazz only has a Bass and Trebble boost, no cutting. I dont know the general rule, do I crank the gain and leave the master down, or vice versa?

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help.

Mr. Pitiful
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What kind of cabinets are you using with it? What style of music are you playing?

Low mids to me are around 150hz.

I am not sure if SWR heads are the best for producing a tubey sound, if anything I though they were great for the opposite.
  4. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I switch back and forth between a Mesa (JBL loaded 800 watts) 2x15, or else an Avatar 4x10 (1400watts).

For the most part we play 70's easy rock, but a few more modern tunes as the night progresses. I guess I have been using the Avatar the most as its easier to move.

If it helps, I also run a sansamp before the amp.

Mr. Pitiful
  5. Yeah, read through the user manual linked above. SWR did a great job of explaining EQ useage and even included a bunch of endorsed-user settings and suggested settings for various things.

I will say this though, after fiddling with the EQ on my SWR for ages I finally ended up leaving the damned thing completely flat and got the best tone i've ever found :)

6. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I agree with jnprather. Like him I use mine with one or two Goliath 3s and flat seems best, certainly on the parametrics. If I want to tweak I simply use the and treble knobs. For a tubey sound a sansamp works very well in this setup, although I usually replace the SM900 with a measa 400+ to achieve this. The SWR seems to be a much maligned head, but I think what it does it does well. However, it does take a bit of playing with and patience to arrive at "your" sound.I also found that using a flat setting helped me to avoid early clipping when running it at volume and bridged into two cabs, which ultimately pushed me into getting the Mesa head also.
  7. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Thanks. I appreciate the help. Any suggestions with the "gain/master" levels?

Mr. Pitiful.
  8. There's also a great explanation about gain/master levels in the owner's manual. :) Basically (in theory) you want the gain as high as possible without clipping, and then use the master volume level to adjust the overall output.
  9. Sure the manuals are good, but here's a recommendation.

Boost 400hz. Try playing with the bass flat, and don't push the aural enhancer beyond 1-2 o'clock. You might want to back off the aural enhancer even more. If 400 is too harsh for your ears, back down to 250 or so.

I've found with the SM900 and 4x10's you really need stay away from too much bass/low freq. boost.
  10. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Thank you very much, I wil give it a try. I really do appreciate all the help. I am not new to bass playing at all, just never took the time to learn about frequencies. Just too many nobs for me.

Thank you.

Mr. Pitiful