Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need setup help - buzz *inside* neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aleyman, Feb 24, 2003.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Ok, i searched in the forum, and couldn't find anyone with the same problem, so i thought i would make a thread about it. I use a Squire Affinity, because that all i can afford. I can't afford a new one, so i hope someone can help me with this problem. I was playing today when i noticed a bad buzzing. "No problem" i though, I'll just raise the bridge. I look down the neck, and i see its Badly bowed, with a capital B. You can see its bent from the side of the room. I dont know how i didn't notice this. again, "no problem" i thought in a cocky way, i'll adjust the truss rod, even though i've never even touched the trussrod before, i've always taken it to shop. i give it a quarter turn counterclockwise, go to play. still buzzing. so i go to give it a little more, and i notice its turning very losely. then i notice something really weird. the buzzing wasn't only comeing from the strings, but it was also comeing from inside the neck. it sounds like its really close to the top, right near wear you turn it. is it possible my truss rod had somehow broken? is it not the trussrod, but something is loose in the hardware and it just sounds like its coming from the neck? is the trussrod supposed to be easy to turn, or am i just being a little paranoid? I can't afford a new one at all, not even close! will it affect the sound a whole lot? could i keep playing it, just keep raiseing the strings. i dont want to lose my bass...

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm going to move this to "Setup"...

3. Aleyman, which of these descriptions is most like your neck as it is now:

1. Bowed - forward, in a way that makes it look like a bow you would use for archery.

2. Bowed - backward, in a way that makes the strings lay directly on the fretboard.

Sometimes it's very hard to get off on the right foot, especially with novice players, when it comes to describing a bad condition.

4. One thing i do know is here in Setup one of the most common sentences uttered is: "After a truss rod adjustment, let is settle in" This usually is a few hours, many leave it over night.

I suggest perhaps u try undoing what you've done in a sense. Turn it Clockwise only 1/4.. then leave it. Come back in 2 hours, if its still "loose" turn it 1/4 more then leave it. Make sure you tune up to pitch. Then we'll see what we can do. ;)

:D:D

Merls

5. Lots of times things sound like they're coming from one place when they're coming from another. That's happened to me many times. The first thing to do is check all your hardware, everywhere there's a screw or nut, make sure it's tight (but don't strip it). Have a friend hold this or that thing down to see if that gets rid of it. It takes a while but it is good to know what it *isn't,* and just maybe you will find out what it *is.*

=====

Merlin, I've heard that thing about 1/4 turns a lot lately. Of course, YMMV, but I always dialed in the full amount of desired adjustment at one whack (of course sometimes bending the neck to relieve pressure on the rod while turning the nut). I always figured that at the factory, that must be the way they do it, 'cause they sure don't have time to go 1/4 turn a day, and I never had a neck go bad on me or creep into another adjustment (unless the weather changed or I took it somewhere else or something).