1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need six 10" speakers, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Picked up a vintage Traynor 6x10" cab.
    It has speakers, they all work but are mis-matched and i'd like to load the cab with a matching set of (hopefully) light weight drivers. I'd like the cab to be 4 ohms.
    It's a sealed cab.
    Hoping to also keep costs down, not looking for super high power,
    but would like it to work with modern amp power ratings (100 watts a driver should do it).
    Anyone aware of any sales? would like to keep overall cost below 400.00
    Thanks!

2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I should add I own a pair of Traynor 2x15" cabs from the same era, loaded them with Celestions that were on sale (4 speakers for 400 bucks, 300 watts power handling). Found that sale by recommendations here on TB...

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why not contact Yorkville and see how much the proper drivers will run you. Yorkville own Traynor BTW.

39-Bassist and agedhorse like this.
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I've seen a set of six 10's listed in the TB classified folder; no idea if they're suitable.

Edit--found the thread; six Fane Sovereign speakers for $220 and the seller says they're great for sealed cabs:

For Sale - Fane sovereign 10-125 (6)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    BasturdBlaster and D.A.R.K. like this.
  5. That might not be an option, if it's a "vintage" one, that came with Marsland drivers, he probably won't be able to get them, since they've been out of business for a while. You seem to know something I don't though.

Most people use Eminence Alpha 10A drivers now, from what I recall. I'm sure you could use others, but you need a specific driver to go into those small sealed boxes. The only time I've seen one of those was in the hands of a guy that I really can't stand. So, naturally, I'd appreciate pics :)

6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    That's obvious, love Yorkville products and am aware but i'm looking for a good deal- see the post below yours for the answer. Thanks

7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    The cabs are almost the same size as the Bergantino NV215 and NV412 I had, and loved. I live in a 3rd floor walkup, so weight is an issue- the Traynors are very light but are very solid build. I love sealed cabs for what I do, ported don't work nearly as well (dropping a fuzz loop to half speed, or octave down goes lower than most bass cab tunings and the drivers tend to go beyond xmax and eat it). These are a great compromise, and loaded with a quality speaker sound excellent (marshlands are really terrible). The 6x10 looks exactly like these, same dimensions... I tried it out/ paid and going back to pick it up tomorrow:
    rigosis_zpsgqjsdkpz.

8. Canadian dollar is sitting at roughly $.75 against the US greenback. So, calling Yorkville will net you roughly 25% off whatever price they give you... and their recommendations will likely be solid.
    Fishheadjoe

9. You will not be able to get a cab impedance of 4 ohms using identical 4 or 8 ohm drivers. You can get a cab impedance of 5.3 ohms with 6 8 ohm drivers wired in series-parallel: wire 3 pairs in series (three 16 ohm pairs), with the pairs wired in parallel. Power will be equally distributed amounts the drivers.

The Eminence Alpha 10A and Faital 10FE200-8 work well in small sealed boxes. The Faital has a smoother overall frequency response, and more extended highs (which you might or might not want).

ShadowImage and D.A.R.K. like this.
  10. I wouldn't call the Marslands trash, I actually really like their 15" drivers in the YS-15 on bass. But hey, they're really old drivers, nowadays we make stuff that can handle much more power.

Thanks for the pics though, even if it's not yours, I really like the old Yorkville cabs, they make great stuff nowadays too.

11. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info on the drivers, Yes I need 16 ohm speakers to get a 4 ohm load.

12. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I hated those Marsland speakers personally, just really bad tone, no power handling but that's just my opinion. The Celestions I loaded in the cabs in the pic sound excellent. Yes, those are mine, i'm a bit partial to these cabs in modified form.

13. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Looks like i'm going to be getting these- talked to a few folks and they are apparently a nice choice. Smoking deal,well below my budget.
    TB comes through again with great info- thanks everyone who took the time to comment and help out!

Khronic and bobcruz like this.
  14. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but i don't believe you could have 6 matching speakers to give a 4 ohm load, or atlas i don't think it could be accomplished with the standard 32ohm drivers

15. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    D.A.R.K. likes this.
  16. In post 9, above, I said that there was no combination of 6 dentical 4 or 8 ohm drivers that would produce a 4 ohm load.

The same holds for 16 and 32 ohm drivers. However, the power output difference between a 4 ohm and 5.3 ohm (six 8 ohm drivers in series parallel) load from a typical SS head is so small as to be inaudible. You're 'good to go' with commonly available 8 ohm drivers.

D.A.R.K. and bobcruz like this.
  17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    They are not the answer unless their TS parameters are a suitable fit for your particular cabinet. It is not a matter of shoving any old driver into a box.

AstroSonic likes this.
  18. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I've dealt with the seller before and he's a stand-up guy.

AstroSonic likes this.
  19. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    +1. You'll get a 5.33 ohm load and the difference between that and a 4-ohm load with a SS head is inaudible--you're good to go.

D.A.R.K. likes this.