Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need slap tone advice (a little confused)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Mar 1, 2005.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Ok, so I'm a fairly experienced bass player, and I like to slap, but I don't do it a whole lot. I own a MuiscMan Stingray (4 string) and love it like my first born son. I've never had any problems with it and I still don't, BUT I do have a minor gripe with this slap tone it's giving me...

I've always noticed how the popped notes on the first and second strings always sound pretty low compared to that of an Ibanez or a Warwick bass. Obviously I'm not asking how to get a Warwick or Ibanez slap tone on my beautiful Stingray, but..AH...let me put it simpler.

I'll use an example. In the song "Aeroplane" by the RHCP, Flea uses a Stingray (since it was before he got the whole Modulus deal). I've always wondered why, even after knwoing how to play this song for years now, I couldn't get my slap tone on my Stingray to sound like it does when he plays it. Here's how the opening part to the verses go:

---------------------------------------------------
    ---------5---------5---------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ---3-x-------x----------------------------------------

In the song, the popped notes on the second string have a higher pitched than when I play them. It's more of a dullish sound when I play it (although it still sounds good) rather than the higher, cleaner tone in the song. I've really grown to like that bass tone. I've messed around with the treble and bass settings and I usually keep the mids turned all the way down. So, how can I get that kind of tone with my Stingray? Anyone got any tips? Or do I need a certain type of strings? Or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :hyper: :help:

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Brand new, stainless steel strings. A tweeter in your cab. Make sure you are using proper technique. BRAND NEW STRINGS.

FWIW, I dont think Flea was actually using Stringrays in the studio. I've heard Spector, Wal, and even Alembic mentioned.

3. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    :hyper: Thanks.

I say he was using a Stingray since he openly admits they are (were) his favorite bass and he uses that bass in the music video. Just an assumption.

New strings, eh? Alright. I've been eyeing those Ernie Ball Elixir strings and the Flea strings. Anyone got specific advice?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not really a recording equipment question, but it's not entirely about basses either, maybe a ittle about technique, strings and amplification.

I'm moving this to misc. You'll get more hits there.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Try DR Hi-Beams. If bright is what you are looking for, they have it in spades.

6. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    That's definitley what I'm going for.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A lot of the tone comes from your playing...having said that I typically like my slap tone but I've never been real happy with the slap tone that I've gotten from Stingrays when I've played around with them in guitar stores.

brad cook

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa them's fighting words :)

My 'ray BEGS to be slapped.

I had trouble with it at first but as soon as I started setting the EQ on the 'ray flat, everything started to fall into place.

I agree with your technique comment. Flea is a hard hitter. that said, Flea sounds like Flea no matter what bass he plays.

9. along with a fresh set of strings. Just a proper setup can do wonders for your tone. Personally, I like the neck to have very little forward bow, and the strings to be low enough to have a very slight buzz when plucked hard. Also, try setting the pickup a little bit higher on the side that you're not getting much volume out of. Of course, a fresh set of roundwounds doesn't hurt either for good slap tone.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, but how many of those in stores had NEW strings? I think new, bright stainless steel strings are the key to a bright pop tone.