1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need slow songs for male vocalist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Nov 14, 2006.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My top 40 cover band is playing a wedding at the end of December. The bride has asked us to play a number of slow songs, but hasn't made any special requests. This shouldn't be a problem, but there's a catch. We have both a male and female lead singer. Our female singer is a flake and, despite being told about this gig months ago, says she can't commit to this gig because she may or may not have "conflicts." Because of this, we need to add 5 or 6 male lead songs for slow-dancing. We have two gui****s, drums, singer and me. No keys. We aren't really a slow song type of band, so we aren't having much luck picking songs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Total Eclipse of the Heart - The Dan Band version only.

3. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Angel Eyes - Jeff Healy
    Every Morning - Keb Mo'
    Joy of My Life - John Fogerty

All sappy, very wedding-esque, and with a male lead.

4. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Marvin Gaye:
    Let's Get It On

Stevie Wonder:
    For Once In My Life
    My Cherie Amour
    You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
    I Just Called To Say I Love You

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Tell us about your vocalist.

What's his timbre and range like?

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Clapton - Wondeerful Tonight

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Something, by the Beatles. Be prepared to spend some time learning the bass part though!

My band plays A LOT of weddings, and they are challenging gigs. You have alot of sit around and wait time, while they do dinner, etc. It's also tough to please that wide ranging of an audience. We've found a few things that universally work. Lots of Motown type stuff pleases young and old alike. Of course, songs we refer to as "reception cheese". Old Time Rock and Roll, Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, and all those crap songs we hate to play, almost always are well received. One other thing you could possibly do, is use CDs. If a wedding party has specific songs they want, and it's a genre we dont do, (ie..modern country), we'll have the song on CD, and play it through the sound system for things like the father daugther dance, etc.

8. davidk_528

davidk_528 There goes the neighborhood...

Jul 20, 2006
    Seattle Area
    I don't know your band or your collective musical taste, so I'll assume you need some slow love songs for dancing. Do either of the gui****ists play acoustic? That might make it easier to interpret slow material/ballads.

Here are some pretty, well-written love songs that are easy to learn and familiar to most guests. They lend themselves well to no keyboards and can be interpreted in a way that you and your bandmates can probably feel good about.

I Still Believe In You (Vince Gill)
    I'd Like To Make It With You (Bread)
    Groovy Kind of Love (Phil Collins)
    You Had Me From Hello (Kenny Chesney)
    Through The Years (Kenny Rogers)
    In My Life (Beatles)
    Can You Feel The Love Tonight (Elton John)
    I Swear (John Michael Montgomery)
    Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)
    When You Say Nothing At All (by Ronan Keating -- Allison Krause & Union Station do a nice version of this tune)

Hope this helps,

-- David

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Beach Boys - Surfer Girl (ha good luck with that one)

seriously though, Can't Help Falling In Love (Elvis, UB40)
    Beatles - And I Love Her
    Beatles - Blackbird
    U2 - With or without you
    U2 - One

10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm terrible at describing singers. He's an older guy, so his range isn't that great. We tune down a number of songs. His voice is fairly clean. Think Jimmy Buffet.

11. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You're reading my mind. I think Let's Get it On would be great if the bride (and her father) have any sense of humor. I love Stevie songs, but there's just so much keys in those that it may be difficult to work around.

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey, I resemble that remark! Most of our songlist is that reception cheese you speak of. ;) Something is a great suggestion.

13. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Without keyboards ballad choices are a bit more limited, but here are a few options. Of course, they might not be right for the singer's range:

Have I told you lately that I love you- Van Morrison
    Change the World- Eric Clapton
    Ribbon In the Sky- Stevie Wonder (adapted for guitar)
    Just My Imagination- Temptations
    Every Time I Close My Eyes- Babyface

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Guy...one more thing to keep in mind for weddings. They are FERTILE gig producing grounds. We usually book at least one or two additional weddings for each wedding we play! There are usually a lot of "friends and family" of the couple around that have their own weddings coming up. If you do a nice job, at a few weddings in a row, you can fill your calender up pretty quickly. The other thing to keep in mind, is people expect to pay for a good wedding band. We charge double our "usual" gig rate for weddings, and usually get it without a word of protest.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    How about "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" :D

Here's some things folks might like that your singer can pull off:
    How Sweet it Is (to be loved by you) - The James Taylor Version
    In My Life - The Beatles
    Just the Way You Are - Billy Joel
    Love Me Tender - Elvis
    Garth Brooks - A Friend to Me
    You've Got a Friend - James Taylor
    Have I Told You Lately - Van Morrison version

16. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Cheeze- thank for your last tip as well. I have, after 6 months in the band, finally gotten myself involved in the booking process. Our drummer has been doing it up until now. He means well, but he's just doesn't have any follow through. At our last gig, we had 3 different people come up to different members of the band and ask about booking us (not me, unfortunately) They all referred them to the drummer, who didn't give them cards, didn't write down their names and now can't remember who he talked to. :rollno: After that, I took over the business card and name collection activities. ;)

17. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    There is a jazz song "Don't Explain" don't know of anyone who does a version that I could suggest, but I heard another jazz combo play it at a show I did last year, and it is a great song.

18. Something - George Harrison
    Imagine - john lennon

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    We had "Let's Ge tIt On" played as the last song at our reception. We thought it was humerous.

20. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    How about the Tenacious D one that shall remain nameless due to PG rules on TB ;)