1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Small Bass Amp/Monitor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    After a lot of research I've come to the conclusion that the best amp for me would be a practice amp that has the output capability that will allow the amp to run through our sound system while at the same time being used as a monitor. I don't mean the normal headphone output, because then I could not use the amp as a monitor. Does anyone know of any small amps like that and while I shop for them what information do I look for that lets me know the amp is capable of being used that way? Thanks.
    Jack

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a Genz Benz Shuttle Combo for just that. It is a monitor for me on stage and has a great DI for the PA. Also a great practice amp and works well for lower volume stand alone applications like jazz combo gigs.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Most any decent combo amp, above the entry level or low powered stuff, will have a balanced XLR out.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I had this basic setup for years, using a generic direct box out to the board and whatever combo I was playing with at the time as a monitor.

I'm guessing from your username that this is in a church, so any small practice combo you like the sound of should do, either with its own XLR out or using a DI before you output to amp. Like RB said above, most decent combos will have a XLR out built in. Many soundguys will prefer a clean signal, with no tone shaping except what you have from your bass. Its up to you and them to get you to sound how you like in the house.