1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need SMALL passive monitor recommendation -- anyone tried the Carvin TRx12n speaker?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Oct 6, 2010.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

We play in small bars where stage space is at an absolute premium. We have some Yamaha CM-12V monitors for the lead singer and guitar player, but nothing for me (I've now started singing and have inears but would like to use a monitor) and the drummer uses an ancient EON that is dying. I have an unused channel on the monitor power amp (PLX1804), so I would like to get one or two small passive monitors. It would be vocals mixed with a small amount of bass (for the drummer and me). Not a high volume at all -- we play mostly small places, and when we play bigger stages, PA is usually provided.

Small footprint is critical. Thus I was interested in the Carvin TRx12n monitor, which uses a coaxial driver making for a pretty small box -- 15.5"W x 14.5"H x 19.5"D.

Anyone tried one, or have other recommendations for a good small passive monitor?

Edit: Budget would be under $600 each at the absolute most.

Many thanks in advance for responses.

2. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    I have a pair of the older 12's by Carvin. It isn't the TR. More comparable to the LS1202M. I wish I could find more. They handle excellent lows for a 12 in a wedge. Very natural sounding speaker. Very lightweight. Never had a problem out of either. I have even used one for a bass cab in smaller venues where only me hearing myself onstage was a concern. Great stuff. I have yet to find a piece of carvin gear that sucks. You can't beat it in it's price range.

3. BartmanPDX

Thanks!

Anyone else? I'm thinking of picking up one or two of these soon.

4. BartmanPDX

Another entrant to the field, and maybe my leading contender at this point is the EAW VRM12. Like the Carvin, it's a coaxial 12" floor wedge and thus is a tiny box at roughly 15"x13"x15". It's even smaller than the Carvin. I've tried EAW stuff in the past on gigs and really liked it. At $600 street, it's almost twice as much as the Carvin, but I love the form factor and the EAW reputation. I think there might be a place in Olympia where I can try one out, but that's a bit of a drive. I think the main limitations of the EAW are probably its bass response and peak volume, but I'm not going to put much bass through it (mostly coming from my rig), and I won't be driving it hard as we play small places for the most part.

Really GAS-ing for something at this point. In-ears can be good for some gigs but I'd love to have a good small monitor.

Attached Files:

5. BartmanPDX

This thread hasn't garnered much interest, but for Wayne and anyone else who is curious, I went ahead and bought one of the EAW VRM12 speakers. Form factor and reputation was made it too good to resist. They are not the easiest piece of gear to track down. I did find a place that gave me a pretty good price -- $525 (B&H photo sells them for $600, and I've also seen them for $720).

It should be hopefully be here sometime next week in time for a gig I have next weekend. I will be able to compare it side-by-side with a Yamaha Club V 12" monitor, as we already use those for the lead singer and guitarist. I'll post some kind of review after next weekend's gig, assuming it's here by then. I'll try to get some pics too.

6. Racehead

Racehead

May 15, 2011
    I'd love to hear your evaluation of this speaker. I'm very interested in a small, but nice sounding stage monitor

7. BartmanPDX

I went ahead and got a second one used off eBay. The band loves them. We've pretty much retired the Yamaha Club V monitors we had. The EAWs are smaller, lighter, and have a really nice clear sound. They have a good wide dispersion. Placement is easier for the drummer. The lead singer can carry them!

The only downside is the deep low end is a little lacking, but that's only going to be an issue if you run your bass through it at high volume. We only use ours for vocals and some bass for the drummer. Also the finish could be tougher; I got some padded covers for mine because they were getting dinged up.

I'd buy them again. I still haven't heard the Carvins.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bought a Peavey PV12M monitor and have just ordered another. The singers are perfectly happy with the monitor and the price is very good: $200.

I went with a 12" rather than 15" for the same reason, they take up less valuable stage space. They also had better specs all around than the 15". But they are bigger than the EAW. Man, that monitor is small!

I A/Bed them with one of my bass cabs, and there is no comparison. But they have a usable amount of bass. I bought them as vocal monitors, we already have a monitor for the drummer. And if I had to, I think I would use my EA 112CXL as a drum monitor. Lots of bass and good full range response.

I also like that Peavey has a reputation for bullet proof equipment... so the monitors should last.

9. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Try these... seismic audio.......I have some and there as good as any! :bassist:

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow those are cheap! Why didn't you tell me about those two days ago :eyebrow:

11. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry..... just saw the post yesterday.....great stuff at a great price. :ninja:

12. kirk62

kirk62

Mar 29, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    My band uses four Carvin LS1202 floor monitors. We are a 5 piece... 3 gui****s, bass, loud drummer (Allman Brothers meet CSNY)... all five sing so good clear stage sound is very important to us. Usually have all of us in FOH, with the bass/kick kept pretty minimal or out of monitors. (I eq out anything below 80hz too.) We've been really happy with the Carvins. They are very clear, project well on stage, and have survived our booted feet, and lots of load ins/outs. For price/quality, they are a top contender in our book.