1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need small stage monitor cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badgrandad, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Long story short... I need a cab as my personal stage rig/monitor. I want something light and it needs to be able to reach moderate levels and stay tight sounding.

I have been having trouble hearing pitch due to the over abundance of low frequencies on stage so this cab doesn't need to be an earth-mover or chest thumper but I hate a thin sound, also I play 5-string 4-string and fretless.

I'm thinking a 1-12.. maybe a 1-10 and needs a horn or piezo

any recommendations? TomBowlus?

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    What are you up against? I have a little homebrew 8 ohm 1x10. It's inefficient but it sounds nice. I power it with a Shuttle 6.0 and I can get loud enough for mostly acoustic (with a really good drummer) with a small PA. I don't have to dime it and it handles the power just fine.

In that situation, if I had to replace I'd look at MojoSonic:

http://www.mojosonic.com/id6.html

The Mojo stuff is a great size and has a good rep. I haven't heard it but I have no reason to suspect that they aren't really cool. Kenny Allyn is on this forum (as "Kenny Allyn"). Give him a shout.

KO

3. 7 piece band -Drums, percussion,multi-instrumentalist,guitar (electric and acoustic), keys and violin, and me on bass.

We try to keep stage noise down but "the guitar player needs to push his amp" type competition goes on.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What do you have now? Assuming it's not an 8x10 and you don't have it tilted or raised the mids are passing you by around knee level and that's the source of the problem. Tilt the cab back so that it's aimed at your head.

5. Have a 2-12 that I recently raised on a stand and point pretty much at my chest. This helped a lot but the 2-12 is a bit much to hoist on a stand if I could get something smaller. On the floor you are right Bill, I could hear it if I turned up but that only contributed to the problem.

6. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    i would take a look on an ebs neo cab.
    many choices 1x10,1x12,2x10.
    light, powerful, good sounding cabs.not cheap though

7. Fender makes a 1-10 monitor wedge (maybe with horn, not sure). Its the 1270. The 1270P is powered, probably not what you want. It's made out of molded plastic, is super light weight and is in a floor monitor design. I've been contemplating one for a while.

8. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    A lot of 2-10's are built with a slanted back. The GK neos are pretty good sounding, very light, and I'd imagine plenty loud enough. I'm considering doing something like this too.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've used the 1270 as monitors. It wouldn't cut it for bass.

KO

Added: In my 1x12 search, the front runners became the Aguilar DB112 and the Genz Benz NeoX 112T. I never bought nor heard either. I'm now planning on getting a 2x12. The Dr. Bass 2460D is the current front runner for that. You might also consider the Dr. Bass 1260, which is a 3-way 1x12 with a 6" mid.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    As far as just a cabinet, sorry I can't help... but if you are willing to go the combo amp route, I would recommend a LowDown 150 by Line 6. I play in a 3-guitar band and in smaller venues it totally holds its own as a stage monitor. It also includes a tuner and a couple of fun onboard effects. It is not the smallest or lightest combo you can buy but the size to sound ratio is among the best out there, IMO. They also make higher powered combos but those are just a standard box, not the kickback configuration like the 150. Do some research and try one out.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A Bag End S15D. Generally $300 in the used market and they cut like a knife through butter on stage. Small not terribly heavy, plentiful used and built like tanks.

I have a pair and they make a fine stage monitor rig. Efficient as all get out - they don't need a bunch of power behind them either.

I wanted to go ligter yet so I pulled a driver from 1 and replaced it with a neo Eminence (3015) seems to be about 15 lbs lighter and sounds slightly darker. Not bad though, not at all.

I recently acquired an EA Micro 300 - should be here today. So I'm going to give that a shot and see if it is enough juice. If it is, I'm a 2 handed carry in to my weekly thing. Gigbag and cable bag on 1 side. Amp in gig bag pocket. Cab on the other side ... I'm pretty stoked for that ... but it does have to work so we'll see.

Anyway - Bag End is BooTeak on a Budget - do a search here and see what other folks have to say.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You have lots of great choices when it comes to 1x10's and 1x12's. Just a few brands which I have had good luck include EA, Epifani, Bergantino, Glockenklang, EBS, Genz-Benz, etc.

Tom.

13. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

If I read this thread correctly your current 2x12 is a beast to hoist, onto the stand you purchased, and your dealing with stage volume concerns, while you desire a cab that will enable pitch definition. You might consider an EA coax (Wizzy), an Acme Low B-1, AccuGroove Tri110L/Tri112L, or a Bag End S-12 (B or D) as possible options.

FWIW and YMMV.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Dr Bass 1260 slant front seems like a neat choice for a stage monitor...

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Put the cab on end so that the drivers are above one another and stick a wedge under it to tilt it back. You'll hear it better and so will everyone else, without it being any louder.

16. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Euphonic-Audio NL-210: This little cabinet is lightweight and will fulfill everything you described as needing.

17. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Fender, Hartke and others make small 1X10,1X12 and 1X15 combo amps that tilt back. Not only would it sound good for bass, but you'd have a monitor with independent tone and volume control.
    A friend of mine uses an Ampeg 100W combo on top of his main rig and just points it at his head.

18. Actually now that you mentioned it I played a BagEnd 2-10 onceand was really impressed with it

19. Unfortunately the speakers are mounted diagonally in the cab but angling does help a lot, now I realize I can downsize to a 1-12 or 1-10 or a light 2-10.