need software to improve timing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by flea2010, Nov 15, 2003.

1. does anyone know if there's any software where you play with your bass (or any other instrument) into the computer to a click, and the computer checks if your timing is good?

if not, someone should develop something like that. you could make it like a game, where you get for any tight note a point or something. could be really good for practicing your tightness.

greetx, flea201
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use a drum program as a metronome.
    Hammerhead is nice and freeware.

Your idea is not bad, but I see a flaw. If you rely on a machine to tell you you're tight, you don't learn to hear (and feel) if your are - and that's what you need.

Now program some grooves and practice :)
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I aggree with jmx: I find it a LOT harder to keep in time with a metronome than I do to jam along in time with a drummer - weather the drummers behind a kit right next to me, or on top of the pops!
  4. If you want some feedback on whether you are in time, get some multi-track recording software.
    Record the click to one track and you to the other. You can just look at the waveforms lined up and see how you line up. This is good for practicing being on the beat, ahead of the beat, or behind the beat. As far as software that tells you your average absolute error and what percent is ahead vs. behind, I don't know of anything like that.

There is a little box you can buy called the Russian Dragon, and there are some similar things like that. You plug in, it has a click, and if you are rushing or dragging, it let's you know by blinking or something. It's marketed to drumemrs.
  5. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Playpro Interactive Bass claims to assess timing as part of their "comp-u-pare" feature.

I can't comment on how well it works.

PlayPro Interactive Bass