Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED SOLOS FOR JURY! HELP!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by teenagebass69, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Hello, I am performing 3 solos in front of a jury and I need some advanced repertoire. I have the Koussevitzky concerto but I need an additional 2. Anybody kno of any solos that express talent and ability while providing a capturing melody and interesting components? Thanks :help:

2. :help: bump :help:

3. You might try the Eligie, opus 24 by Faure and Sonata in a minor RV 43 by Vivaldi. Do the cello versions.

4. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    well, if youre going to play koussevitzky, it would behoove you to play something contrasting in style like the aforementioned vivaldi sonata or something from a bach suite (using the c.f. peters edition would suffice). You could also consider a Dittersdorf Concerto, or even Dragonetti if thats your cup of tea.

5. bass_bum

bass_bum

Jun 4, 2005
    You could try to do all 4 movements of Eccles sonata. Also, do you have the pink book of death? Solos for the Double Bass player. Try the second movement of Bottesini Concerto No. 2, or Tarentelle. I forgot who it is by, but it is a good technical piece, with show.

6. There's a bunch of Tarentellas out there. Bottesini has a great one. As did Gliere.

7. Some good expressive pieces you might want to look at: Bottesini Elegy in D. It's a standard.
    A challenging piece I love is Kol Nidrei by Max Bruch - originally for cello, but has been transcribed for every string instrument. There are editions in solo and orchestral tuning.

-Jason

8. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Don't audition on it unless you are positive that you are able to capture the character of the piece. If you can, the Kussovitsky would BLOW THE JURY AWAY. NO exception. Dragonetti II would be good, I dig that work. Capuzzi also isn't too hard, but really shows the ability of the player to show emotion in his playng. I second the vivaldi sonata recomendations, as well as the Bach recomendations.
    Good Luck,
    Pete

9. I agree with the Capuzzi choice, very musical and a good contrast in style to the Koussevitsky. also agree with the Vivaldi and Bach suggestions, but if you only have a short amount of time the capuzzi is your best bet.