1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need solution to my volume problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bamx, Jun 8, 2007.

1. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    I have a GK2001RB with a 212 Avatar neo, with an IbanezSR800(active) My volume is at 1o'clock, if I go any higher the amps start to clip(sometimes it clips at this level), the sound is good but it feels like is not loud enough for bar gigs. It sounds super loud on home but like a little practice combo at bars. The exception being this one time it sounded very good on a place but it was because it was pretty small. Does it have to do with the position of the cab, putting it against the wall or something? maybe taking the bass of the sound?I see other bassist with little combos(behringers and peavies) sounding more than me in the same playing area. Any suggestion? maybe a 210 cab?

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    do you have the amp bridged? what impedance is your cab? that amp has a lot of power so you shouldn't be hurting for volume. how are you eq'ing the amp/your bass?

and it is most always desirable to put the cab against a wall, or even better in a corner.

3. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    The amp is bridged so is throwing 650W at 8ohm, the cab is 8ohm (500W). The thing is in some places I barely cut through the drums and some places I am even in volume , but the amp is clipping in every note when i compete with the drums.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That is a very good setup and should be loud as heck. Are u oosting lows too much??? If you boost bass frequencies too much this can limit your amps headroom and make it put out less power.

I suggest setting all EQ flat and play with the GAIN and VOLUME knobs. When you get the volume you want then start eq'ing to your taste. Try different setting on the boost knob and dont boost treble too much, those GK are bright as it is.

Let us know...

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It looks like your amp is overpowering the cab.

6. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeh it could be the speakers farting out.

my guess would have been speaker area though...see if you can borrow someones 410 or something at a rehearsal and see if that helps...or if you got yourself a 210 or a 115 you could run the amp down to 4 ohms and get more speakers and more power :D

7. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    all the EQ is at 12, except for bass which is completely down at the amp. I adjust the bass in my guitar just so there is enough, if I move it just a little I get a no bass sound. So the lows are conservative. I agree with Glenn, I feel the amp is overpowering the cab, but even then, is not producing enough volume, maybe the cab and amp dont match? thanks for your answers.

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    This is a long shot - but have you verified that your cabinet is really 8 ohm and not 4?

Are both speakers working OK?
    That setup should be really loud.

9. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    thanks for the replies, It says 8ohm in the label near the tweeterknob. I'll get back to you about the speakers,but I think they must be working because I see both of them shaking, i am at workI'll get back to you. all the EQ is at 12, except for bass which is completely down at the amp. I adjust the bass in my guitar just so there is enough, if I move it just a little I get a no bass sound. So the lows are conservative. I agree with Glenn, I feel the amp is overpowering the cab, I can see those speakers shaking and thinking they look like they are gonna blow even though they still sound good at that point, but even then, is not producing enough volume, maybe the cab and amp dont match? Thanks

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Maybe you need to get it up off the ground/stage. Elevate it and maybe it will carry better. I run a 1001rb (540w version) thru 2 of those cabs for large gigs, but for smaller gigs I stack the 2 cabs, but only run the top one. Looks cool, but elevating the "working" cab makes it cut thru better.

11. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The input on my 1001 is easy to distort with active basses with a lot of output. You have to set that control so your playing style does not clip the input. Then adjust the volume knob for overall uh... volume.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The best spot is within 2 feet of a wall, further out will lead to phase cancellation and a loss of bass response. The drivers can be doing St.Vitus dance and you won't hear the bass because the speakers are too far from the wall. Hearing definition means hearing the midrange, and hearing midrange means having the speaker tilited up towards your head, especially with 12s. OTOH, if you can't hear it that doesn't mean the audience can't. If other guys fill the same room with combos think about what's happening: you're listening to them out in the audience. It's not going to sound the same there as on stage.

13. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks for the anwsers, have only gigged 5 times and learning some stuff. I kind of knew about placing it near the wall but thought as something optional. I am going make it a rule for next time. Metron, i think i cant go past 1o'clock , the clippling led is on andI feel the speakers are going to burst, sometimes i can smell the speakers when they are being pushed like that.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You won't for long. That smell is usually accompanied by magic smoke and the sounds of silence.

15. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    you made me laugh out loud! The smell is quite nice actually, like new plastic out of the box, but not the kind of burnt plastic. I think they smell new when played at that sound level.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Hmmm...I think I'll put a urinal mint (a new one) in my cab.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021