1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some advice about a bad GC experience.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Not me, but a friend of mine who is a guitar player in another local band. Here is his problem.

"Bought a used Egnater amp on 11/30/12 for $500.00 and pro-coverage for $69.99. Experienced problems with amp. Pro-Coverage had me send it in to be fixed through UPS and I had to pay $47.19 for a shipping container and packaging. Ultimately, Pro Coverage wouldn't pay to have the amp fixed and sent me a gift card which was for $4.27 less than what I paid for the amp. So total I'm out is $164.37 if you add up the packaging, pro coverage plan and the shortage amount, all for the privilege of owning a damaged amp for 3 months. Now I have a gift card. Not to happy with this transaction. And if I buy another amp I have to start Pro-Coverage all over again. Not to mention time and frustration and lost wages for not having a working amp."

Now he doesn't really want to spend the almost $500 on the gift card at GC, considering they just basically screwed him. Any ideas?

johnny_bolt likes this.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Also, I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum, so please move it if it isn't.

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    If he is really mad at GC and doesnt want to spend his money there, he could sell the gift card to someone who is planning a purchase there.

Sorry thats all I got.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Other than contacting the GC customer service department there really isn't anything you can do. You paid for an extended service policy. All of these contracts state that they will fix or replace the item depending on what is wrong with it and the cost to repair. They also state that shipping costs are not covered. Since Pro-Coverage does not sell amplifiers, they sent you a gift card instead. They legally fulfilled their obligation based on the policy you purchased. Unfortunately, this is the risk you take when you buy used gear.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Good idea. Know anyone? lol

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    It's a risk HE took buying anything from Guitar Center at all and don't think I didn't berate him a little for it. ;)

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The Pro coverage is refundable you get a partial refund based on how long you've had it.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I don't understand what you mean.

9. He'd be getting even more screwed by them if he didn't use the $500 gift card?! I understand not supporting them in the future but don't understand what he gains by not using it.

Go in, explain the situation and see if they can offer anything else. I bet they won't though, it sucks that it sounds like he got a lemon but the system worked as designed.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    If you buy a Pro Coverage Plan you can leave it intact for the next owner or they will give you a prorated amount back based on how you had the coverage have your friend call them and tell them he no longer has the amp and he wants some money back I always get the coverage because of this.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Nope. In fact, even when you use the Pro Coverage on a new item you don't take it into the store. I once took an 8 month old CryBaby that I had bought Pro coverage for back to the store. They told me I had to ship it to Dunlop. I had a gig that night and started to get irate. The manager happened to be a pretty cool guy and gave me a new one and told me to take the old one home, ship it to Dunlop and bring his pedal back when I got mine back from Dunlop. My situation worked out well, but that doesn't mean his will.

12. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    All he has to do is buy something and return it they will give him his money back just tell them you don't want another gift card the only way it doesn't work is if you used a gift card for the initial purchase.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The Pro coverage people are the ones that gave him the GC card. He bought the amp with cash. In my eyes, he should have been given cash back.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

OK, now there is a solution. Thanks brother. ;)

15. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I know this doesn't help at all but I'm curious as to what was up with the Egnater that was so serious that it wasn't worth fixing it? Which amp was it?

I've got an Egnater guitar amp and it's a solid and reliable unit.

16. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    He can still get money back on that coverage most people don't inquire about it and that's what they count on that was a separate purchase and has nothing to do with the actual purchase of the amp won't hurt to make a phone call.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I asked him that same question. This was his response.

"Rebel 30. Sounded awesome for awhile. then a tube went microphonic. replaced tube and another went bad. got noisy and had a bad pot. so I complained. They said it had to have all tube sockets replaced, tubes, pots and input jacks. so it wasn't worth it to them to fix."

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I will let him know. Thank you.

19. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    How much does that plan cover you for? Sounds like $200 worth of work, plus tubes. I smell BS.

I love my Rebel and I'd say $500 is an absolute screamer for the 30 watter. I'd be getting it fixed but I dig that that's not the point.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I guarantee you it isn't BS. This is a friend of mine, from a local band who my band does shows with sometimes.