Need some advice about my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Oct 26, 2004.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys i think i have my rig boiled down to a few simple setups, I just need some help on figuring a few things out.
    1)pv 412 tvx cab and a max700 head
    2)avatar 212 and pv max700 head
    3)gk 410 sbx crown XLS 602 power amp and a bbe bmax preamp
    4)bag end Q10B-D QSC rmx 1450 bbe bmax

What do you guys think would give me the most volume for money.
    I'd personally like to have a pre/power amp setup but thats a little bit pricey for me now. Im just shooting for a rig that i can save up for. Thanks :help:
  2. Where are you located? How long have you been playing? What kind of music and what equipment will your bandmates use (example: 1x12inch combo or 4x12 Marshall stack)?

I would think that the Peavey rig would do nicely. The 4x12 speaker cab could get to be a pain when you start gigging and/or moving around.

Have you checked out Yorkville? What's in your area?
  3. option 1 will be the loudest; it will also be the heaviest. though i believe i'm in the minority, i think the tone of that combo is really nice, too. i first played that rig long before i started working for peavey, but i continue to enjoy it after.

4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well my local dealears carry hartke, ampeg, and peavey so i'm getting something from one of those companies id like to get peavey because i have a tnt115 and its friggen awesome and their reliablity is like wow. My 2 guitarist have 120wat 2x12 crate combos. we play alot of metallica and are influenced by led zepphlin, ozzy, jimmi hendrix, megadeth, and slayer. So we have kind of a weird diverse style of music we all play but its going good. And portability i dont think will be that much of a problem because im getting a truck. I just dont want to be under powered and i wont to be heard/felt. Ive done alot of searches and the peavey stuff is my first choice then maybe a hartke 5000 with an avatar 212 or 410. If i'm blessed ill get an ampeg 410hlf and a svt4pro but that probly wont happen.
  5. sounds well reasoned. as the reliability engineer, i'm glad you're impressed by the longevity of your gear.

6. WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas

What is your PA situation when you perform? Do you have support from an adequate high-powered sound system complete with good-quality subs? Or is the system merely a couple of small two-ways on poles?

If your situation is the latter, then you’ve already seen plenty of good recommendations here. But if you’re typically playing behind a big full-range system, you might want to rethink your entire strategy, because in that situation a huge, powerful bass rig is essentially redundant.

That’s the conclusion I arrived at a few years ago when I was contemplating putting together a high-end system of separates complete with custom cabinet that would hit 35Hz. For 99% of my playing I’m behind a capable PA system with four two-way, dual-15" cabinets and a pair of high-output 18” folded horn subs, powered by a stack of amps and a few thousand watts. Eventually it dawned on me that there was no reason to spring for a rig that would play loud and low when I was already getting that for free with the PA system.

With that realization in mind I set about to assemble a stage rig that would compliment rather than compete with the house system. You can see the resulting equipment list in my Profile.

Since I was relying on the sound system to cover the audience, not the output from my own equipment, the first thing that appeared to be of little use was a traditional hulking bass cabinet. No love lost there. It was always an PITA with those things, getting a firm grip on what was getting out to the crowd. Ever use a long cable or wireless rig and go out where the audience is? They never sound the same out there as they do where you’re standing in front of them.

However, I did need to hear myself on-stage, and so did the drummer. So I got us a pair of good-quality stage monitors. Nice thing about those things is that you can hear them the way sound was meant to be heard – out in front of you, aimed at your head. Gee, what a concept! That is where the ears are after all, not in your butt or the back of your knees (ever see a singer say “Move that monitor around behind me so I can hear it better?”). The resolution and texture from the instrument that comes through once the sound from the speaker actually gets to your ears - it’s quite a revelation and pleasure to hear. Since the house subs were carrying the bottom end for me, I rolled the lows out of my monitors. That allows me to run my stage volume higher without worrying about competing with the house system.

There are other nice things about using a good stage monitor for your personal monitor. For instance, they use drivers similar to the ones used in the sound system – like a high-quality compression driver for the high frequencies instead of a cheap $10 piezo - so you have a much better assurance that what you’re hearing from yourself is what the audience is hearing.

Well, it doesn’t take much to drive a monitor that’s only a few feet away and aimed at your ears with the lows rolled out, so the next thing to get put out to pasture was the big high-powered amplifier. In its place is a little one-rack space stereo 75 watts/per channel amp that weighs less than 12lbs, and it hardly breaks a sweat.

There are many other technical benefits of using a non-traditional rig like this, like reduced phasing problems once the bass rig is no longer in competition with the PA system, being able to use a pro-quality parametric EQ to fine-tune your output to the PA, etc. I won’t elaborate on that here. I’ll just say I’ve never regretted ditching the traditional bass rig for something more intelligently designed. I still keep a 2-15 cabinet around for the rare times I have a gig where they’re using dinky two-ways on poles, but that’s for the audience. I still bring along the monitor for myself.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Yes we do have a PA 2 15 inche speakers and one 18' but thats not ours. (ours meaning my bands) thats why i had wanted to upgrade my rig so i wouldnt have to use a PA i think it would be less to haul around to gigs and ect. Not to mention sound boards dont go cheap. But thats me id rather have a nice beefy seized rig rather just having a combo and run it though a system.