Need some advice for a first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ilikebadmusic, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Hey, I've been jammin' along for awhile now. I'm 16, no amp yet, but I'll get that later =) I have some cheap-o fender jazz my dad bought me, that I love I might add. Since I like music, I usually just fiddle with my bass while I listen. I mostly try to jam to crap like Shellac, RATM, Primus, random hardcore snuff, random punk crap, random nu-metal stuff, metallica, pink floyd, led zeppelin, hendrix.. Hell, thinking about it I play to almost everything that isn't pop I even try to jam along to techno and other bassless music like the Oxes!

I'm havin' fun and all, even if I'm not in a band. I'm gonna take lessons soon, and as soon as I feel right I'll go out and try to find me one of them band things ;P One problem is, I don't have an amp. I feel very wierd trying bass amps out, I feel like everyone is watching me or I'll do something wrong and the amp will explode =(

What I'm basically here is to ask, what brands of amps are good? I've heard Mesa Boogie and Ampeg, but I'm looking for more of a combo rig. I really want to somone's tone like Bob Weston of Shellac, Tim Commerford of RATM or Claypool's sludgyish tone like when he plays My name is Mud live.

I've got about $700 to spend, and I fear used things =(

Edit - I know I probably can't get close to anyone good's tone with $700, but I want to try =P Oh, and I've been playing for about 8 months.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Great Suggestion. I was going to say get a Carvin but I like Greybeard's idea better. The Peavey will be something you can use for a long time. It will be plenty loud. Even if you decide you need something bigger/louder later on, you can keep it for practice and smaller gigs when a big rig isn't practical. Also the Peavey stuff is reasonably priced. Since when did Peavey allow their gear to be sold on the internet? I thought that was a no-no with them.
  3. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Sure, Peavey's might be cheap, loud and industructible. But do they sound good?
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Try a Nemesis NC 1x15, 2x12, or 2x10 combo. Or, maybe, an SWR Workingman's series. I've owned both Nemesis' and WM's and, overall, I liked the Nemesis better. The lows were much stronger. Nemesis has a variety of speaker configurations, the SWR's selection isn't as varied. I've seen Nemesis' new on eBay starting at $450.00.
  5. Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad... Just kidding. Peavey has it's own distinctive sound. You either like it or you don't. Find one and play it. Make up your mind for yourself.
  6. modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Get a Gallien Krueger combo. Im sure they have something for under 700.00
  7. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You said you fear used equipment but you could find a good used Peavey amp on either or ebay.
    There are usually a few for under $200 leaving plenty to save for other things (like lessons, strings and effects).
    Do a search for both "Peavey Bass Amp" and "Peavey TNT" on both sites and you can probably find a good deal.
    You can also find other good deals on used bass amps but Peavey and Carvin both give you the most bang for your buck.
    If you are just starting out, it would help to have a loud amp so that you hook up with a band (the experience could be a good teacher).
  8. The Peavey and Carvin stuff is great from what I've heard.

Resale may not be as high as SWR and Hartke...
  9. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I got my first bass amp -- a Peavey 112 combo -- over 6 years ago, beat the hell out of it and it has never so much as flinched. Solid first amp -- I still use it to practice at home. Cheap and dependable -- gets reasonably loud too.
  10. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i personally would stay away from peavey if you are looking for a yummy tone. they are very sterile.

the sound you are looking for would come from an ampeg. the ba series is great.

i found a ba-110 on ebay for $150. It's just an at-home practice amp for me - 30 watts. but i also have the peavey 115 tko with a black widow and the ampeg sounds much better.

if i were you i would look for an ampeg ba115. it should be loud enough to get you going with a band - but maybe not loud enough once you start playing shows. i have seen them for about $450 used in places, not sure what they would go for new.

also - SWR just came out with a new 2x10 combo in the workingman line (BTW - workingman is their affordable series - vs. their pro line stuff). this 2x10 is probably modeled after the famous swr redhead combo - which was a great amp (i used to own one). swr has a cleaner sound than the ampeg stuff, but you could always muck it up with some effects down the line. the truly great thing about the swr 2x10 is that it begs to be expanded upon at some point - when you have time and money. it will put out more watts when you add an extention cab - which could be a 4x10, 1x18, 2x10, whatever you want.

i know what you mean about playing amps in stores, it being your first amp and all. it sucks - nothing you can do about it unless you just deal with it.

but a jazz bass with an ampeg is a solid rock sound. you won't be let down.

on the same note - a jazz bass with SWR won't let you down.

I think a peavey may let you down, form my personal experience.

BTW - depending on where you live, i have a peavey 115 tko with black widow that i'll sell to you CHEAP if you decide that's what you want.

it has some wear, but works fine. it's loud, heavey, and i never use it now that i have my ampeg ba110.

keep us posted once you make your buy,
  11. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    The Ampeg sounds good, but is 100 1x15 enough power? I don't want to have to go buy a new amp in a year or so, if I do get into a band and we start gigging.

And if I wanted to sound more like Rage Against the Machine's Bassist, Tim Commerford, would I want to go for a 2x10 or 1x15?
  12. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Can I buy a 2x10 SWR or Ampeg (if there is one) Combo, and add a 1x15 cab? Or would that mess things up? I'm not good with amp things.
  13. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i just realized that this site has an advert for the new swr up top. 2x10c.

you can add a 15 to that. you would probably be better off adding a 2x10 or 4x10 though.

i had an swr redehad, same idea (2x10 combo) and i added a 15 - but i did not like it - so i added another 2x10 and that was sweet.

rock and roll is all about 10's.