need some advice for my first legit amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harryhood, Jun 25, 2004.

1. harryhood

Jun 25, 2004
    Im getting ready to buy my first legit amp setup and im undecided about what to do. At first i was leaning towards getting an SWR goliath jr. 2x10 and a SWR Bass 350 head. But when i went to check it out the guy said it wouldnt have enough volume and he told me to go with am ampeg BA-210SP combo. I think id prefer to go with the separate head and cabinet so that maybe i can pick up a 1x15 lin the future and another amp with crossover for a booming sound. Im looking to buy the stuff used to keep cost down, my budget is probably somewhere around 1000-1200$. currently i play a 4 but im also looking to invest in a 5 so i want a rig that will play a solid B. Any adivce is greatly appreciated.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had a bass 350 non-x silver face. reliable, loud, mids are a little dry, but it'll make a loud noise. built in limiter to protect your cabs!! the ampeg is 76 Lbs!!! ouch!

I'd go SWR if you like a clearer sound, go ampeg if you like a darker sound. separates!!!

have fun
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't care for the tone of the SWR 350 but it should be loud enough. That salesperson just wants you to buy an Ampeg for some reason. I have played with 350 watt heads for years and really have never needed anything bigger. If you get a chance, check out an Ashdown MAG300 and either their 410 or 115 cabs. You can buy the Mag300,410, and 115 all together for right at $850. Thats alot of rig for the money and you would be plenty loud. Just a thought.
  4. I back up the above comment about the MAG i was in the shop today played it alongside other similar sized and bigger amps... i thought hands down was the better sounding performing amp!

also those speakers i think are pretty versatile so you could upgrade to an amp with more headroom if you want latter!
  5. yepp, go for a head and cab
    why not trying to find a used trace-elliot 250 or 350 with a 410 or a hartke 3500? they have good clean sounds and a little cheaper than swr.
  6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well providing the 1000-1200 is american dollars (nothing filled out in your profile so I don't know) than you can certainly get a nice rig set up. Ampegs are nice. I've got the B2R head and it works quite nicely for me. If you needed more than the 350 watts (at 4 ohms) you could probably find a used SVT-3 pro for a little bit more.

Eden cabs get sparkling reviews and you could get one in your price range. If you wanted to spend less you could go with Avatar cabs. They also get good reviews and are quite a deal for the price of them.
  7. I've got an SWR sm-400s that I'm selling for $450 shipped. This will give you more power, a better eq and more cabinet options for only slightly more cash that you'd spend on the 350. Also, you should be able to pick up your Goliath junior and a SoB and still be in your price range. Let me know if you're interested.