1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some advice on a lakland 4-94!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minjo82, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Well i currently own a stingray and was saving up to buy an old fender jazz bass.. but someone asked me if i wanted to trade my stingray + $1000 with his lakland 4-94 deluxe. Considering that i live in Korea where pretty much all high-end basses are really overpriced, (and i mean REALLY overpriced) this is a REALLY good deal in terms of money..

what i'm wondering is..can i really expect the lakland to have the stingray growl + the unmistakable fender jazz tone? i've read some reviews and there were some mixed opinions on this.. I know i can't expect the lakland to reproduce the EXACT same tone but how close does it get?

I know i should play a few laklands and see for myself but I can't seem to find any stores in Korea that has them in stock. So i wanted to hear your thoughts..

should i let this deal pass and just buy a fender jazz?

2. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    IF that's the going rate for a used 4-94 in Korea then I would go for it. My main axe is a 4-94 and it's the most versatile bass I've ever owned. It's the closest thing to owning a P bass,J bass,and Stingray without having to buy all three. In fact, I prefer the Stingray sound of the Lakland to a real Stingray. Gee...I guess some may think that's like prefering a digitally enhanced version of the Mona Lisa to the real thing but I just think it sounds better.

3. thx for the reply

what does everybody else think? I've been saving money for.. well forever, and have around $1300 saved up...

my options are
    1. buy a 78' jazz.
    2. trade my stingray + around $1000 for a lakland 4-94
    3. i'm also considering to buy another stingray w/piezo pups in which case i'll sell my old stingray leaving me some money for pedals and/or an amp.

basically i need a sound that can complement my stingray.. i love my ray, and i wouldn't want to part with it but if i can get the similar growl in a lakland, then i'd be able to carry just one bass to my gigs.. which is a big plus.

I know I'm in no situation to complain but this kind of stuff always gets me aggravated.. ;)