Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some advice on amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 13, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've been playing the same Genz rig for the past two months now and I like it. But I just don't think I'm getting the most out of it. I'm not enjoying it like I think I could and I think I'm ready to move on. It has a great defined sound, but the it just isn't boomy enough for me and doesn't have the highs I want. Lately I've been looking into getting back into GK, trying Mesa, and even *gasp* considered Ampeg. Oh the amps I've owned GK always sounded best to me, but then again, I've only really owned Genz and GK rigs, and an Ampeg and SWR cabinet.

So now I'm thinking of trying something completely new. I'm up for any input. I prefer 6x10 cabinets or 4x10 and 1x15s and enough power to be able to play medium to large venues. So give me some input on what to consider and what to try out. I'm open to any ideas. The Mesa really has my eye right now, but I never got the full GK rig that I had intended on getting before, but I'm also warming upto SWR.

~Patrick

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    beforte ditching the head, i'd try some other cabs. no real advice, as i dunno what will sound good to you. if you can, schlep your existing cab down with your head so you can do direct comparisons.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well the thing is, I'm a brand whore. So I'd like to have a matching head and cab. I can't really explain why, but I just never liked the idea of mismatched heads and cabs.

~Patrick

4. Try Eden. Awesome stuff, just priced out of my league.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Someones got to have some input. I'm thinking a Mesa Mpulse 600 would be worth a try. Anyone got anything to say about it, or anything to contribute in general?

~Patrick

6. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    XjasonsmithX: man honestly i think you need to keep your amp for alittle while and have some time to bond w/ it especially playing live

Give it alittle time, get some decent live playing time in on your amp before you decided to change.

-Jason

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    go over and see zach and will at martin. the 400 is pretty astounding as are the bag end cabs. the good thing about those guys is they give honest advice not just try to sell you something they have.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Haha. Zach does try to sell me everything. He's still trying to get me to buy his Lakland. If I asked him what he'd reccomend for a 5 string, he'd tell me to get the 4 string Fodera they got in and tune it B-D. Playing the Mesa 400 through the 4x10 they got in is what got me second thinking my Genz. I filled out a financing application on the the spot, and thankfully got turned down. I just got through playing my Genz very thoroughly for an hour or so, and I'm refalling in love with it. I figure I'm just going to play the 400 as much as I can and see about it. In a month or so, I'm probably going to go in there, and get a new head, either a 400+ or GBE 1200. I guess I'll see when it comes time.

~Patrick