1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some advice on input and output levels

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Okay, my amp is broke, so I want to use my Behringer Bass BDi 21 DI Box, and run it into a poweramp until I can repair it.

Now, I'm waiting for a bridging cable to be made for my power amp, and I noticed something disappointing.

The Behringer only puts out a mic level output (-50db) out of the balanced XLR out, which isn't really enough to drive a power amp right?

But here's the thing, I have a BBE sonic max that has an input sensitivity of (-45db) and a maximum output of +18 db, and the lo contour and process outputs have up to a +12 db boost at the 50hz and 5khz range respectively.

So if I am thinking right, in theory, I should be giving enough signal to the power amp to properly drive my cabs right?

Also, I know I won't have a lot of EQ flexibility, but I do have an active preamp on my bass that is 3 band, and this is only a temporary solution, if it works!

Can anyone lead me in the right direction here?

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Bump

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I say test it out.

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well, I did it, and it works, it's a little quieter than it should be, but I know I'm not giving the poweramp as big of a signal as it will take. The volume is quiet fine though, I just don't have as much as I could have in my opinion. It doesn't peak no matter how hard I play.

That being said, I really dig the tone, it sounds really full and the whole set up is very very punchy. I could easily turn this into a rig I could gig with for awhile if I just added an EQ, but I plan to save my money so I can fix my Ampeg.