1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some advice on stripping a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pdshane, Oct 11, 2013.

1. pdshane

pdshane

Jul 25, 2002
    I've got a Squier rosewood P neck that the previous owner defretted and then applied polyurethane. The finish is okay for what it is, but it has "orange peel" roughness; not enough to affect playability, but you can see it close up. It's a flat finish too. I'm thinking about either redoing it or adding more poly--I've got some MinWax wood floor coating--for a smoother, more finished look (if my meager skills can take it that far).

My question: (a) sand over the existing poly and apply more coats lightly sanding inbetween and then buff out or (b) do I have to strip this thing down to bare wood and start over?

Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    If there's enough polyurethane on it all you have to do is sand out the peel and buff it to any gloss you'd like. Doesn't matter if it's flat or glossy now.

If it needs more poly, sand it smooth and apply more. Stripping is not necessary.

3. pdshane

pdshane

Jul 25, 2002
    Thanks, Dada, I appreciate your advice. I'll give it a shot.