1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need some advice on tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berettapunk, Aug 12, 2012.

1. berettapunk

berettapunk

May 2, 2012
    Newark Ohio
    Ive been looking for a good tube amp because i recently fell in love with my neighbors '74 bassman ten. It sounds great with everything i wana do, i play in a punk band and do some jam sessions with my neighbor. Do you guys think i should be patient and just save up for a bassman ten? Or are there other options that are more readily available? I do play a lot so either way id be getting my money out of it. :help: Thanks!

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Personally, I have been dying to try the new Bassman 300 watter. Other great options are the SVT classic and the SVT 4 Pro.

3. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    In all honesty..the only reason i have a tube amp is for large out door gigs..(Ampeg SVT CL w/810)....if it wasnt for that, i would be sticking with something much smaller which i do use for smaller gigs... Now if your talking about Preamp tube in head..thats something different...There many smaller heads that will handle big cabinets if necessary..
    I personally play smaller gigs with my mesa M6 2x12 combo..tons of volume...also looking at purchasing a TecAmp Puma 500 with Fbass 2x10"
    There are many options out there for you...i find straight up tube heads..expensive /heavy and did i say expensive.

Good luck

4. Personally I wouldn't be looking at a tube combo. You can find an older bassman head for a decent price, and pair it with a cab much more suitable for bass.

5. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    although i hate to carry it, I bought my SVT classic for everything, practicing alone, with the band, big gigs and small ones.

6. berettapunk

berettapunk

May 2, 2012
    Newark Ohio
    well, i like the bassman ten cuz its not huge and it packs plenty punch and its got an amazing sound. ive found them for 500 before.

amps concern me cuz i feel like theres too many wrong turns to take when it comes to dealing with them :-/

7. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I guess if thats what you really like then thats the one to get. I used to have the TC bh500 head and bought a Vt bass pedal and loved it so much that I had to have the real thing!