1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some advice...p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary5, Dec 23, 2007.

1. gary5

gary5

Aug 12, 2007
    Florida
    Just started playing bass again...I have a 70's P-bass that has been under the bed for 15 years or so. It plays great but the electronics are shot...buzzes like mad and no power.I want to set it up with new pickups,electronics,pots etc.
    I have no idea what's out there now...Any sugesstions?

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You might start by taking it to a tech to see if it can be made whole.

Debate over the intrinsic worth of '70s Fenders apart, it'll be worth more than if you start messing with replacing the electronics, and it may very well be that it can be made playable without too much outlay.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Good advice above! Take it to someone and find out what is actually wrong before you just start replacing parts.

4. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Probably just needs the contacts on the jack and pots to be cleaned. Definitely take it to a tech before you start hacking it up.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Agreed. Mot likely just oxidation on the jack and in the pots. Maybe some shielding would improve it as well. DO NOT swap out parts on a 70's Fender unless you keep every part, screw and scrap of wiring. They are appreciating fast.

And remember this basic rule: a 70's Fender is SUPPOSED to sound like a 70's Fender. Your goal should be to restore the sound it came with, not change it to something else.

6. gary5

gary5

Aug 12, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks guys, kinda what I had in mind. Pickups may be shot though, very low volume when I tried it. Any parts I replace will be saved and stored for the future.
    Any ideas on pickups?

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and the Fender 62RI pickups. I don't like the EMG Select Precision pickups, the sound just doesn't do it for me on a Fender. Go figure.

Those are the only ones I can effectively comment on besides stock Fender pickups which I tend to like.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Take it to someone who knows what there doing. Could be as simple as a wire grounding out.

9. HUGE +1