1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some advice please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeCool82992, Mar 24, 2006.

1. JoeCool82992

JoeCool82992

Mar 23, 2006
    Virginia
    hey guys im new :)

i wanted to know two things:
    -i wanna get an SX SJB-62 bass, is this a bad idea?
    - after that, my parents are gonna pay 150-200 bucks for an amp, any suggestions? thanks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Welcome aboard!

Amp wise...I'd recommend a good used one. To get more specific, we need some more info. What kind of music are you going to be playing? Who are your bass heros?

Good bass choice by the way!

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
  4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

How proficient are you with playing a bass?
    Have you played a fretless before? They are less forgiving than a fretted model in that you must get the finger placement exactly right or your sound will be off.

5. JoeCool82992

JoeCool82992

Mar 23, 2006
    Virginia
    hey thanks.

-im going to be playing jazz, classic rock, maybe some hard rock, and punk with my brothers.
    -Chris Squire, Geedy Lee
    -i can play a little bit, but im pretty much a noob.
    -ive never played a fretless before, but i know about them. thanks tho.

oh and LoveThatBass, thanks for the reccommendations. i like that SWR amp. is there any way you guys could explain to me about these amps?

6. JoeCool82992

JoeCool82992

Mar 23, 2006
    Virginia
    so is the SX bass good for the money

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Take thyself to the Basses forum and do a search for both SX and Essex...

8. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    harmonycentral.com usually has a good amount of reviews on all types of guitars and amps.

As far as an amp, I would recommend a used Peavey Combo. Peavey bass amps are loud, reliable, and can usually get an alright tone. The best thing about them is that they have a really low resale value, so when you buy them used its usually for cheap. Try to take a look on your local craigslist.org for cheap amps.