1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some advice selling G&L L-2000 Tribute.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by firmlybassed, Oct 4, 2009.

1. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    Hi all TB'rs.

I have a G&L Tribute L-2000 that I paid 499 new 2 years ago. ZZounds was having a blowout on them.

Recently at a rehersal we had a very bad Thunder/electical storm. My bass electronics and pickps took a hit and were all fried. I had 2 different Luthiers/Electronic guys test it.
    The preamp, pots, pickups are shot. To replace everything will cost me about $300 - $400. I have 5 other basses that I love to play so I'm not hurting. I basically would have to pay for the bass again to get it working which I don't really want to do.
    I was thinking of selling it on ebay or here on TB as is.

I need advice on the following:
    1) Should I sell it as a whole bass (mint condition and plays great).
    OR
    2) Should I sell it for parts separately. Neck Body Bridge Tuners etc..???

Which option will generate more cash???
    I appreciate everyones input and advice. Thanks

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Supporting membership will get you some answers, and maybe some buyers.

3. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    And I'm not sure that's what I'd call "mint"...

4. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    I was thinking of becoming a supporting member based on the reply to this request
    for advice (I thought advice was free). I don't ask many questions but I do answer many regardless of their status.

5. Selling on Ebay anymore is a joke. You could always put it up on Craigslist and see what you can get for it. But otherwise, do pay for a supporting membership here. You'll never find a nicer bunch of people to deal with than on TB.

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I would say just part it out. easier and considering the situation it will generate more money for you.

7. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    You might try disconnecting the preamp and testing just the pickups if you have not already done that.

The pickups might be fine but shorted out via the preamp.

If so, G&L pickups sound great passive, and the output is still as hot as most active basses. I did this and I don't miss the preamp at all.

YMMV

8. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    Everything is shot including pickups. The fine copper in the pickup and the magnet are burned.

9. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Get a membership here and sell it in the classifieds as parts. You will probably get rid of the entire bass in a week and have some ammo to do upgrades to your other basses.

10. Wow, that's amazing. Hope you weren't near it when it took the hit! How's the rest of your gear?

11. I'd pull the electronics and sell it as a parts/project bass.

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Selling it as is will be less of a hassle than parting it out. And the supporting membership here will probably make it all that much easier.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wait..I thought it required $400 worth of repairs?? 'Mint' means 'factory new'.

14. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    TB memberships pays for itself. I was struggling to sell a bass on craigs, paid my supporting membership and sold it here at like a 230$ profit i think.

15. lazytech

lazytech

Jan 29, 2008
    I know i for one would be very interested in a body and neck, i usually only buy from the classifieds here at tb.

I got my l2000 tribute for 400 used, prolly a complete one will go gor that or 350 on here so im not sure what kind of miney youd be looking at for a neck and body but youll do all right on it im sure.

16. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    I'm now a member and I have listed the bass for sale in the TB classified.
    I know for a fact the pickups were damaged and need to be replaced or rewound.
    I think the electronics may be ok but I'm not positive. I'm including everything check it out and make me an offer.