Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some advice; ski clothing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys & gals.
    i'm going to be going snowblading next year with my school and I need some new clothes.

im not a ski buff. im not looking to spenda lot of money, and im cool with buying used...

i need advice on: a jacket, sallopettes, socks, and what to wear under the jacket (i'd prefer teeshirts..)

also, i plan to be doing tricks and that kinda stuff, so flexible wear is a must the way i see it.

brands and that sorta thing would be a huge help!
    advise welcomed. :)

2. Yes, well that is not recommended. You are supposed to wear a stretchy synthetic material closest to your skin. Or wool, but can you even buy that these days. This will transport sweat away from your body and you will stay dry. If you wear a cotton t-shirt it will get wet and you will be cold. The synthetic material is the only thing you wear on your legs under your ski-pants. On your upper body I would recommend a fleece shirt and then your jacket. Your outer clothes should stop wind not be warm.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wear a long sleeve dry fit shirt with a fleece over that, and then my snowboarding jacket. Cotton is a no no. Wear wool socks or any ski socks, non cotton. Wear fleece pants under snow pant shells, no cotton sweatpants.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Get some dry fit underclothing. (Like long underwear, but with a synthetic fabric that pulls moisture off your skin.) Fleece is a good midddle layer, if you tend to get cold. I recommend softshell pants and jackets, but it may not be in your budget. Just find something that blocks the wind well, and doesn't restrict movement.

Oh, and DON'T SKIMP ON GLOVES!! Keep your toes and fingers warm, and you'll be set.

Good Luck.

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    2 words: SMART WOOL. If you can find anything made out of this stuff, buy it. I have some smartwool socks and they kill everything else. I'm pretty sure they make long-johns and such, I've never seen 'em in stores though, but I'd buy them on the spot if I did.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have smart wool socks as well.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Being a bass player, you already understand the "you get what you pay for" saying. Oh so true in the world of ski gear as well. If they have places like WalMart and Target in Scotland, STAY AWAY!!!

Nothing will ruin your day quicker on the slopes than getting cold or wet. I spare no expense on clothing for my wife, son, and I. Good call on the suggestion of wool, and dri-fit underclothing. I like the Under Armour stuff. If you can find socks under the brand name "Wigwam", get them. Those are some good socks. Do you have "Colombia Sportswear"? They make good jackets. "Helly Hansen" makes excellent waterproof gear that is warm. I have also done some snowboarding in "Carhartt" gear when I am in a redneck mood.

-Mike

8. thanks for all the suggestions. :)

i'm going to be going window shopping on thursday so i'll see what i can find :)

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Microbass - there's a new Ski/Snowboard/Climbing shop opened on Gordon Street, just along from Central Station. I've not been in it, but it might have some cool stuff (but at a price, I suspect). Greaves on Gordon Street also does Ski/Snowboard stuff, and Tiso's just round the corner on Buchannan Street. There's also Nevisport, Blacks, Milletts and a few other places I've not been to (there's a big place in the Cowcaddens area, pretty much under the motorway that I keep meaning to check out), and a place out the west end on either Argylle or Sauchiehall Street.

My advice is to wait until the January sales before buying the expensive stuff (jacket and sallopettes). Greaves is especially good for bargains then - I got a very nice Ripcurl jacket there just after Christmas for £75, reduced from £180. But you've got to be fast - that was on the Wednesday after Christmas (which was the Saturday), and they were running out of stuff that fitted me!

It's probably a good idea to try to borrow/hire sallopettes unless you're planning on going more than once. With a jacket, you can at least wear it at other times.

10. nice one wingnut :) cheers!

i knew about the greeves shop, had planned to go in there. didnt think about the sales!

thanks again!

11. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha

While I believe this to be true, I also know that Tshirts work well too. I've been skiing for 15 years, and an instructor for 3. During the past 10 years I've always worn a tshirt under my coat, even in temperatures going down to -10 F without windchill. Certainly, I would love to have the good synthetic material, but without the cash to spend on it, tshirts have worked fine for me.

Can't stress the importance of good gloves enough. While you may feel that they don't deserve the cost, you'll be thanking yourself when it's bitter cold and windy and you actually can feel your fingers. ;)