Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BeatlesBassist4, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BeatlesBassist4

BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Gearogia
    Hey me and my bass teacher both notice that i tend to only use my pointer finger when i play. I rotate but usually stick with my one and i would like be be able to use both in a natural way (without thinking).

Any ideas or suggestion on how i could practice this?

Let me know. Thanks.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

I tell my students to practice alternating index and middle fingers on their plucking hand on open strings. Concentrate on getting both fingers to sound even(that one finger doesn't pull harder than the other). Once you have done this for a few days, practice doing the exercise while watching TV. This helps it to become second nature to you.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

this probably will get moved to my forum in General Instruction, or maybe Technique.

3. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    try to play really fast songs. robert trujillo in suicidal tendencies and infectious grooves did some pretty mindblowing stuff with his fingers. the basslines are relatively easy compared to jaco, cause that's madness. and while ur at it, try to play with 3 fingers, just might come in handy some day.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I concur. I have my students play alternating fingers on just open strings, with a metronome. You could really spend a good 20 minutes a day doing this if you were ambitious. Like Joe said, it's imperative that the attack and tone from both fingers be equal. You want things to sound even and solid. Jumping strings is helpful, and something you want to incorporate. Don't just go G, D, A, E, E, A, D, G. In fact, the exercise I always give, is two bars each of:

A D A G D E G E

I like this, because, to my ears, it's semi-melodic, pleasing sounding, and you get a good jump from one string to another.

Start slow on the 'nome, and build your way up to faster tempos. This isn't the most interesting exercise, I know, so you've really got to want it, but the two finger style is going to ease your playing, increase your ability to play faster lines, and most importantly, improve your tone.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Like JOE said? :eyebrow:

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

:D

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m