need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by third eye, May 13, 2001.

1. i am 100% sure i want to start learning the bass. the only thing is that im not sure of what to get. im alittle cash strapped for now, so it cant be too expensive (the guitar, amp, etc has to all be under $400). im interested in heavy metal, prog rock music. if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well dude, for a starting out, all for under 400 bucks?...

I'd go with that Fender Squire Bass Pack. It's a Squire P-Bass (Pretty good learning tool) and a 15 watt amp. The amp is nothing much...well, even that might be over-stating the amp. But, it's a decent pack for a beginner.

And as for metal, can't go wrong with Fender (or in this case, the Squire). You can go better, but you can't go wrong.

Here's from Musicians Friend- That's only 300 to, so you can use the other 100 to buys some strings, a few picks, and, if you like metal, a cheapie distortion pedal and patch cord.

Hope this helps!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    D'oh! Beat me to it Gruff...By a mintue or so whilst I was typing too!
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    400-500 bucks would get you a Yamaha BBN4 -bass and Peavey Microbass amp, far superior to any starter pack.

Yamaha costs around 300 bucks new and Peavey goes for 100-200 dineros, you could save by buying the amp used tho.