Need some advice !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drifta, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Hey guys, currently i'm playing through a Berhinger 30 watt amp (which really isnt that bad at all) but as i've got way more serious and upgraded from my old ibanez starter to my Fender jazz i feel that im lacking in the amp department.

I need an amp that will give me my low end sound i love for playing my dub/rocksteady/reggae lines. I' m sort of on a budget and dont want to spend more then 500-700 and i'd like the amp to be rather portable as i'm always playing at either my drummers or guitarists house(and here at home).

Any suggestions?

2. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    How much watts are you looking for? Are you playing with a full band and need to cut through some guitar stacks?

One fairly popular setup that I've found to usually sound good is a 1X15 matched with a 2X10, but then if you get those with a nice amp it may be going over your spending limits.

Another setup that I really like is just the straight 2X12 with an amp head. I've never played one, but I've heard plenty of people saying their Avatar 2X12 is the best cab they've ever played. Plus, if you get the avatar 2x12, you could get it wired for 4 ohms, so then you could get a louder sound out of your amp too. Also, the 212 isn't too bad on the back either.

For an amp head, it really depends on what kind of sound you want and how many watts your looking for. In your price range I'd probably say it would be solid state, which is not a bad thing by any means.

If I were you, I'd take a look at all used stuff, especially peavey used stuff. It tends to be very undervalued, reliable, loud, and have pretty decent tone as well. Hope this info helps...

3. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    i dont need to be that loud we arent currently giggin(but i'd like to have an amp that could somewhat do small gigs) I'm not sure what watts im looking for, i just play i dont know much about watts ohms and speakers n whatnot :) portability is kinda the biggest thing to me though, cause i'd probally be moving from bedroom to car to friends house and back multiple nights a week.

4. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    A Yorkville XM-200 is nice and will do for most gigs as well as practice, but it weighs 60 lbs. Sounds good. And yeah, I have one for sale, but not cause I don't like it.

I like the looks of the single 12 Markbass combo. Lighter than the Yorkville. I think it was priced at 799 @ GC. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but others have posted positive about it.

5. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    I would go for an Avatar 212, and if it doesn't have casters you could simply add them if you wanted to, to make portability easier. I have read that the Avatar Neo 212 is really light and still sounds great. You could probably find one used on ebay or something for fairly cheap. And for an amp I would say something probably around 500 watts, but if you can I'd just go to the nearest Guitar Center or whatever and try out as much as you can and just see what sounds good to you.

6. Go Ashdown.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021