Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheJazzBassist, Jun 4, 2002.

1. It's that time...the original strings need to go. Although they're fairly adequate still, I'm itching for some new ones. I have a standard Jazz Bass and was wondering which strings would be best for it?
    I was thinking of getting some Dean Markley Blue Steels, but was wondering if anyone highly recommends any other types. I'm willing to spend some but not through the nose if ya know what I mean. Also what tools other than pliers would be needed for the job, seeing as how this is my first string change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aaron

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Best for what? Bright pick tone, tight slap tone, warm finger tone, overall compromise?

3. Lets go with overall compromise and lean a bit more towards tight slap tone. I rarely play with a pick, mostly my fingers and some slap/pop.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Here's a link that will help with changing strings:

http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/install.shtml

(I've never needed pliers.)

Also, I'll recommend that you try some D'Addario XL's. They are very versatile strings that will cover a lot a musical territory.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like steel on a Jazz. The Markleys you're considering are a fine choice. I also like D'Addario Prisms.