Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have an all original '73 Jazz bass. I'm thinking of putting a J Retro preamp in it, but 75% of me says, "Don't even think abou it!" What do you Bass Gods think?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ouch... tough decision.

According to what I´ve seen/read, there are two types of J-retro.

J-retro and
    J-retro deluxe.

The latter one has "true" passive mode, whilst the first one does not. It has passive mode per say, but some ppl claim that the true passive tone doesn´t shine through there.

And finally a golden rule:

If it ain´t broke, don´t fix it!

I´m glad to have been of no assistance to you :oops:

3. I say put it in, as long as you don't have to do major routing. What have you got to lose?

Mike J.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s the beauty of the J-retro, no routing required. Just pop it in, solder and play.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If its original keep it that way.depends on the sound your trying to get Im sure you can get it out of another bass and if so then you have the Jazz stock and when your in the studio you can always resort to it for that sometimes classic Jazz vibe,unless your really not feeling the Jazz all together.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Warning: routing is *usually* not required, but Fender QC during the CBS era was somewhat dodgy, so there is no guarantee. I've read a few cases (one in BP magazine) where a J-Retro did not fit without routing. Again, most users do not have to rout.... but it would still be a good idea to check your vendor's return policy if routing is not an option for you.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've decided to leave it be. Thanks for the advice.