Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oneoftheway, Dec 5, 2002.

1. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hi

Im gunna get my first multifx soon so i was wounder what ou all thought was a good all round product. All I really want is some good distortions and some really funky sounds that like you can hear on p-funk CD's and stuff.

Thanks

2. you will not get a good distortion or any good filter (funky sound) from any multi-effects pedal... sorry.

occasionally delay effects sound "okay" on multi-effects units (chorus, flanger, reverb, etc) but distortions (especially for bass) are generally TERRIBLE and there probably wont even be a filter effect (maybe a wah) and even if there is i can guarentee that it will be terrible (the Korg that claypool uses seems to be the only exception... but i think theres some wierd cosmic force that makes that filter sound the way it does for him...)

3. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hi

Thanks for that. So what separate pedals should i get in order to get the funky claypool sound. Like what are the names and models of which you think are the best for the price. Thats really the only sound I actully wanted.

Thanks

4. well im actually not a HUGE filter junky but let me just tell you that a good one will be expensive...
    the bass balls is an okay filter that can be had for under 100 bucks...
    the ebs bass IQ is also a really nice filter that can be had for moderately cheap...
    i use a moogerfooger lowpass filter... great pedal... i was lucky to get mine so cheap (150) a they run about 300 new.

5. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I had A listen to the bass balls and I quite liked it. Allthough I was looking for something form something more like Mr Oysterhead. It doestnt have to be exactly like it but the closere the better. I dont really want to spend more than US$120.

Thanks

6. www.bassgear.com
    i believe there was a ebs bass iq on there for 120 last time i looked... worth a shot. It will be more like the sound you want i think...

7. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Thanks for the help. Do you know any specific companys that make that kind of pedal. I live i Australia so I cant really ship for oversseas. I need the make and the model number so I can order it at my local music store. Thanks.