Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some advice

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 26, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I have pondered this before, but rock and roll music today has gone down the commode. It is without heart and soul, and definitely without merit. Will any of the rock bands around today be known as classic rock bands in 30 years? I doubt anyone will even remember any of these blokes. The question is, what are some good rock and roll albums that have been put out this year. Also, what are some good albums put out in any genre? I like all types of music, but rock is my favorite. I want to listen to new stuff, but can't stand the stuff I have found. Help please.

2. I think that New Radicals CD is pretty awsome and worth checking out. It's produced really well and very creative both musicly and vocally.

3. JWC,good luck.Sometimes going back to the roots can be a "new" experience.That would be my suggestion.Last night I was listening to Zep 3 and realized the album was put out Oct.5,1970.So that album is literally 30 years old.Yet it still has relevance today.Again, good luck in your search!!!

"There is nothing new under the sun"....
    King Solomon

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks Pez and Willie. I heard the New Radicals were pretty good. I'll have to check it out. As far as going back to to roots, my c.d. collection is filled with Zeppelin, Doors, Beatles, The Who, Rush, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Jaco, and all types of older stuff, which totally kicks new stuff's ass. Led Zep 2 is my favorite. I guess the Lemon Song has something to do with that.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No one can predict what will be classic in 30 years.

In the day Zeppelin was often ridiculed, as was Black Sabbath. Now Zeppelin are hailed as great innovators and the Sabs have influenced 99.99% of the hip-hop/metal bands out there.

So did their music change? Nope, but the assessment of it sure has!!!!

Think about what was going on thirty years BEFORE 1970...Sinatra was still with Tommy Dorsey, bebop jazz didn't exist, electric guitars were a novelty, electric basses didn't exist, ROCK didn't exist...it's mindboggling that Zeppelin and Limp Bizkit might actually get played side by side on the same radio station today, you definitely wouldn't have heard Sinatra and Bobby Plant warbling back to back in 1970!!!

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    interesting way to look at it there brianrost. i didn't think of it using that perspective. however, i just can't see anything today being remembered anything other than total ****.

7. Here's a scary thought-what if the metallica of today is the
    (shudder) MUZAK of tommorow? :eek:

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to "Recordings".

Will C.:cool:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would dispute this - who ridiculed Led Zep in the 70s? When I was growing up in the 70s they were seen as the "coolest" band around to like - all the music press gave them great reviews - I can still remember some of them. Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton were revered as guitar heros in the 70s and from their work with the Yardbirds onwards.

Now when Punk happened in the UK, people started calling them "Dinosaurs" or similar, but that was from about 1980 onwards. Right up to the release of Physical Graffiti (79/80) - Led Zep were seen as one of the great bands who never sold out - they never released singles, wouldn't appear on "Pop" TV shows, but toured endlessly and were loyal to their fans. In 1974 when I saw them live, they sold out Wembley in hours with no publicity - they had a huge following and were acknowledged as the best live act on the planet.

At the time, the people who were ridiculed (at least at my school ;) ) were those into singles and "Glam Rock" yuuch! Of course - acts like Davis Cassidy and the Osmonds wouldn't have even been mentioned on pain of instant death! :rolleyes:

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually, Rolling Stone trashed every Zep album until "Physical Graffitti". They even maligned the Cream albums (rightfully so...who thinks "Pressed Rat and Warthog" was a great song?). It was widely noted at the time that Led Zep I ripped off Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart (check out Beck's version of "You Shook Me" sometime) only Page knew how to mix his records better.

Yes the bands were "cool" to the public (they did sell millions of records) but the press was definitely NOT kind to Zeppelin.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well maybe the US press were more cynical - growing up in the UK , I must admit I never saw "Rolling Stone" but avidly read Melody Maker and New Musical Express each week. I particularly remember this because of the vast change of attitude around 79/80. I can remember rave reviews of "Houses of the Holy" being front page news in all the press with Led Zep feted and courted by the music journalists, but within a few years they were reviled as punk swept England and it was no longer hip to like them and the same journos went along with the Sex Pistols etc. and anyone who professed a liking for Led Zep were classed as "Old Farts".

The bands that really were "ridiculed" in the English press were the "second wave" of Heavy Metal - like Iron Maiden, Saxon etc. - as pompous copyists. There was always a grudging respect for the bands who started it like Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, but by 1979 nobody was safe unless you played songs that lasted less then 3 mins and used 3 chords or less! The tide of public opinion also shifted - this was gauged by John Peel, who was one of the most popular DJs on national radio (more important then than now). Each year, he would get people to vote for their favourite records and his "Festive 50" was recognised as the barometer of musical taste. Every year,though the 70s from its release "Stairway to Heaven" topped it with monotonous regularity, then suddenly it changed to the Sex Pistols and punk.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've pondered such thoughts, myself. But, I also think that some music of today DOES have merit. The bands are fewer, as the pop culture seems less interested in musicianship and more interested in dancing, lip-syncing, plastic people who cannot even strum a chord, let alone write their own music.

But, even in that cynicism, when I was a kid, Shawn Cassidy was a hit. Remember that?

But, getting back on track, there are some bands these days that do produce interesting music. But, it has to match your music tastes. If you grew up idolizing Led Zep, the Stones, Beatles, etc, you may not enjoy stuff like Dave Mathews. In my opinion, he's got a band that is full of wonderful musicians, and their approach to music is fresh. No "bubble-gum" songs in that group.

I also like Ben Harper. There's a new band that I recently saw in Chicago called Verbow. They're not amazing talents, but their music speaks to you. And, they're entertaining. A band I saw a few years ago that I liked was God Street Wine. They played Horde Fest and did a pretty good job. How about Phish? Ever hear of them? Some people (though not myself) like Black Crowes a lot.

The point is, musical tastes tend to change over time. Our individual tastes do not change as much. There are some decent bands out there.

At least it's not as bad as it was in the 1980's. ;)

13. JWC,sounds like you already have a good CD collection ,I'm sure your search will be fruitful.
    I might be digressing,but it doesn't matter what Rolling Stone has to say,just look on November's issue.Enough said. EIB EIB EIB

14. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    while I would have to agree w/ where rock is headed. a lot of rock is just a fad. I hate to see musicians make it big just b/c they sound popular. I mean, just look at bands like Eve 6, Greenday, and all of those alternative bands, and the one hit wonders. I would hate to know that I've worked hard all my life to get to the point where u are selling all kinds of albums and are finally a famous musician, then only to find out that you were a fad and you are nothing. I guess that's the way the music industry is today... a lot of people just want to have that "rock star" status. all I want is to be recognized for my music. and I think that is what the "classic rock" musicians wanted. they didn't put out music just so it will sound good on the radio. they put it out b/c that was their soul, that music was where their hearts were. a good band that I think has that mentality is the Deftones. they are great. and they have a good bassist. Creed is popular now and I believe they will be considered classics in 30 years. Korn will be also. and probably Limp Bizket. I hope Counting Crows will be remembered. I know I will never forget about them. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is also a great band that I'm pretty sure will be considered classics. there are several out there, just try not to be disillusioned by all the other stuff.

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Deftones,Limb Bizkuit suck.
    Dream Theater and Nevermore are forever.

16. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    What???? I hope I'm dead before those bands are considered "classics".
    I suppose they could be called classics in 30 years if there is a nuclear holocaust which wipes out all music except Creed, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Counting Crows. Then I could agree with you.