1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trenken, Aug 27, 2017.

1. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Looking at a few combos and hoping to find someone that knows a little about these before i make a decision, knowing its not possible for me to try any of these out before i buy. Of course if i buy and dont like it, they take returns so not the end of the world.

What i want is something loud enough for band practice, maybe small venues, and of course a really strong practice amp for home.

Orange crush bass 100 (100w)
    Ampeg ba-115v2 (150w)
    Fender rumble 200 (200w)

All in the $400-550 range, with the orange being the most expensive even though it has the least watts. Seems like i cant really go that wrong with any of them considering they all have very positive reviews, but just curious of one is known to be the best choice.

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well, as a fellow New Jerseyan, I must confess that I find it a little hard to believe that you'd have any trouble finding all of these to try out, but assuming you're correct, best thing you can do is listen to samples of each online as Orange, Ampeg, and the Rumbles will all have tone profiles that have different goals.

I do think you're right though in that it'd be hard to go wrong with any of them, as they're all probably towards the top of their class - that is, unless you just can't stand the "insert brand here" tone.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Im wondering if i should go with a 12 or 15" speaker. Im new to combos so the fact that i only have one speaker is new to me and unsure of what size sounds best with these combos.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    While 12" and 15" speakers and cabs may sound a bit different depending on the manufacturer's goals for each (but not necessarily just because of their size), in general, the 15 is probably the better bet from a volume standpoint as a typical 15" speaker will have more displacement potential than a similar 12".

If you're only going with one speaker, I'd highly recommend a single 15 over a single 12 all else being equal. And of those combo lines that you've mentioned, IME they all have a fairly baked in tone that is meant to sound "Orange" or "Ampeg" in both of those cases - and the Rumble like... a Rumble. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that IMO with those combos the manufacturer's desired tone will likely far outweigh any difference from speaker size.

David Jayne likes this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Alright, so I've personally used amps from each of those lines on more than a few occasions (maybe not the exact model that you have listed, but as I said, their respective lines). Some things to keep in mind as I noticed that you went out of your way to list the wattage associated with each combo:

1. The Orange is listed at 100w RMS and unless I'm mistaken has no out for an extension speaker. I really wouldn't let that bother me all that much if you like the Orange sound, but it does limit your expansion options later down the road. Might as well go head/cab(s) though if you're going to go modular - again, IMO.

2. Edit: I was corrected, no extension out on the BA115v2. This must have been why I had such a hard time finding the 4ohm rating. Must have confused it with the BA210v2. I'll keep the below as reference only to my previous post, but it's incorrect.

The Ampeg is listed at 150w RMS @ 8ohms, and comes with an extension cab out. That means that if you were to hook the thing up to another 8 ohm cab the wattage would likely increase. I had a tough time finding what the actual rating would be at 4 ohms, but odds are it's at least 200w (just a guess)!

3. And the Rumble. This thing is listed at 200w, which is only the case with the extension cab plugged in. To the best of my knowledge, as it seems to me like it's the only one of the three to do so, the fact that Fender actually offers a matching extension cab makes this acceptable IMO. However, as a standalone, it'll give you 150w - putting it basically in line with the others.

Anyways, as the topic has been beaten to death here lately, wattage isn't really all that great of a way to gauge what an amp can really do in real life, though it can be one helpful data-point among many. Long story short, please do not make your decision between those options you listed based solely on wattage.

Disclaimer: all of that info has been gathered hastily from a few quick web searches, please verify yourself - as always I'm happy to be corrected if I goofed!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Oh I know wattage isnt the deciding factor, I was just pointing out what they wattage was for each of them in case it was important for someone to know when giving me advice.

Basically long story short, the last combo I owned was a Peavey 20+ years ago, so I am wayyy out of the loop with modern combos. I would imagine theyve changed quite a bit over the last couple decades. And I just bought a house so I cant afford to drop 1.5k on a stack. Id love to get something like an Ob1-300 orange head with a cab for flexibility, but its out of my range right now. I like that kinda nasty rugged orange sound, but im not married to it and certainly open to going with something else. Its been a really long time since Ive played through an orange but I still remember loving it.

One drawback for me with that orange combo is not so much that it is only 100 watts, its that the thing is almost 60 lbs! The Fender is only 34 I believe. Big difference. Portability is important with a combo. Im not always going to have help to lug it around.

Regarding the watts though, I cant remember what my old Peavey was. I cant imagine it was more than 100 watts because the thing was pretty cheap, $250 at the time I believe, and that thing was loud. Say the 100 watt orange combo, would you say that bumps enough to cut through a loud hard rock band at practice, and maybe some smaller gigs? Not too worried about bigger gigs because most have a PA and the orange has a line out.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    One of the rehearsal spaces in Fishtown that I frequent has in it an Orange Crush 1x12 50 watt version that I use from time to time.

A few qualifiers:

1. The space is extremely tiny – as in, if I do bring my rig it significantly cuts down on space for the band to stand (I think the entire room is about the size of a college dorm room with other bands’ gear stacked around the periphery)
    2. The Orange sits on top of a guitar cabinet, so it’s approximately at chest level

With those two points in the Orange’s favor being stated, that 1x12 50w combo somehow manages to just barely keep up with two very loud distorted guitarists running tube 2x12s, and a very heavy hitting drummer (also hard rock).

I’m not quite sure how it does it, though at those volumes it’s pretty grindy (but in the usable Orange type way), and to be honest, I’m not sure if I’d be comfortable with always running it so hard, but it’s been there for at least a few years and still appears to be going strong.

If that 1x12 can survive in that environment, then its 1x15 brother should have even better odds of success, again, as long as the rooms are small, and it’s propped/angled up if need be.

Gigs might be a bigger issue, as even the venues with decent PAs are still often times reluctant to run bass through the monitors, so just hearing yourself on stage might be a challenge sometimes even if your sound is making its way out front just fine. Again, propping the amp up on a stand or something would help you out – as would cutting lows and just trying to get mids to cut through to your ears. It’s a close call, but that Orange 1x15 would probably fare as well as just about any other combo in its class. If you want more than that, you’d probably have to step up to two 12s, two 15s, or four 10s in some form.

8. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ive read many reviews of all 3 of these, and most people say all of them are strong enough to play small gigs. This combo really is just for right now, to get something just good enough for a decent price to hold me over until I stop bleeding money with this house. Lol

Of course down the road Id like to step it up to something more flexible with a head and a cab, but combos are fairly cheap, and right now I like cheap. I also dont have the time right now to drive all over the state trying to hunt these down to try them out. There isnt exactly a ton of music stores around these days like there was in the 90s. The internet has put so many out of business, and stock is super limited in the ones that remain.

The closest guitar center to me that has one of these, the fender rumble 200, is an hour from me. So basically im looking at 2 hours driving, another half hour or whatever to try it out. I dont have 3 hours to throw away on weekends right now when I have so much work to do at the house and not a lot of time to get it done. I cant even find the orange combo anywhere. Not the 100 watt version anyway.

9. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    I know for a fact that all 3 of these combos are good quality, and ill likely be pretty happy no matter what I go with. Its more just about the sound and portability. I already know I like the orange sound, but the downside of that one is its the heaviest of the 3. I have no experience with fender or ampeg amps. So its a tough decision. Go with untested sound knowing the combos are super portable, or go with the trusted orange that is about 60 lbs?

10. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    If you can afford the extra money you should consider the Rumble 500. My advise is to always buy more watts than you really need. You do not want to run an amp that hard on a regular basis, eventually it will not like it. Better to have as much headroom as you can afford. The Rumble 500 gets many, many good reviews here on TB. (I have an older Rumble 150 v2 head and tried an older Rumble 150 combo and also like that.)

Aqualung60 and Dale Griffith like this.
  11. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    IMHO the only way to buy an amp is to drag your gear (bass, pedals, pre, pedals, etc) and spend the time to try it out right. When I've ordered something without trying it I've been disappointed.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Go to Guitar Center. They usually have the Rumble 200 in stock to listen to.

I'm not sure about the others, but I'm sure there is a GC within a reasonable distance to you.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well the rumble 500 is only like $50 more than the orange 100 watt lol. With orange you are paying for a pretty unique sound that you cant get elsewhere, so their stuff is pretty overpriced, but worth it to some people. You can try and simulate the sound in other ways through different amps but its never quite the same.

Like I said im not stuck to the orange sound. I like it, thats all, but im certain there are other amps that will sound great to me too. Im not all that picky.

14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's a tough call. The Orange definitely commands a premium over some others because of the name, so as far as it being just a stop-gap, it might not be the most thrifty route, though I can confirm that they do sound pretty good - and it seems like you're already leaning in that direction. I personally wouldn't let a few extra pounds stop me - pick up a cheap $15 fold-up hand-truck for longer hauls if you think you'd need it and call it a day.

With that being said, since the Orange does command that premium, if you were willing to take those funds and do a little searching on the used market, you could likely find something more powerful and modular that might serve you even better. It doesn't seem like you're interested in going at that direction at this point, which I understand, but it merits a mention.

Best of luck!

Aaron Mc likes this.
  15. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    If you're willing to drop $500, I'd go for the Ampeg BA-210v2.
    450 watts, 2x10" with capacity to add extension cab, monitor tilt back feature and appx 48 lbs.
    that's a lot of bang.

Tuffyman and Aqualung60 like this.
  16. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Good call. I forgot to check that one out. Ill check some reviews on it now.

17. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah I would actually have to carry that 60lb beast up and down stairs fairly regularly, so Im not sure how I feel about that. Seems to be the heaviest combo amp around. Im going to check out the ampeg someone mentioned. Forgot they offered a more powerful combo than the one I was looking at.

18. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I've played the Fender Rumble 200 and 500 and liked them both. I do know that for a little more money you could get the Rumble 500 (2x10) and it will do pretty much anything you need.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  19. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    The rumble 500 is $100 more than the ampeg ba-210 which is as powerful as the rumble 500.

20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I strongly suggest the Rumble 200. In the Amps an Cabs forum, there is the Fender Rumble Club. We have over 800 members. The Rumble line is the best selling line of amps world wide.
    When I decided to go light weight, I tried out the Ampeg, the Markbass, and the Rumble. My first priority was tone. I ended up with a Rumble 500 combo. It has 2 10s. It sounded the best to me and it was the lightest and least expensive. I have since added a 2x10 extension. Not because I needed the extra wattage or tone, but to get more speaker area and get it up close to my ear. I've been very happy with it.
    I do think the 200 would be plenty. There are guys gigging with them. The entire Rumble line is louder than you would expect for the rated wattage. I usually play with a trio and in the normal club situation, I run the gain at abour 4:00 o'clock and the master at about 3:00 and it is plenty load. This past Friday I played with a 5 piece country band (2 gits, steel, drums and me) and had to put the master all the way up to 4:00.
    And the one thing that I really really like is the almost tube sound you can get with the vintage button. The Rumbles are a well designed amp. They also have built in compression and overdrive. It took some experimenting to get the overdrive to sound like I want it to, but once I got it dialed in, it is very good. The Rumble club also has the Rumble Tone Pool, a spreadsheet with a lot of setting suggestions submitted by Rumble owners. You can use that to help dial in the sound that you want.

grrg63 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021