Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaguarcat311, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Alright, to start out with i got a warwick pro tube IV amp head, running through an 8x10. the amp seriously doesnt cut it. its 400 watts at 4 ohms (cab is rated at 4 ohms) but the way warwick instructed me to set up the amp, i can get the master to 10, the gain to 5, and the output to 4 (of 12), which is only putting out 1/6th of the volume it should. and why pay for a 400 watt amp that only has about 66 watts useable. its barely enough to cut it at a small venue. The sound isnt that impressive either (deffinitely not the "new standard of bass amplification"). the tube channel on the amp is pretty nice sounding, and the solid state side is still pretty warm sounding, but its kinda got this fuzz over the sound (more noticeable at lower volumes) its kinda like the amp hum but its in the noise signal or something. the only thing i could think of is if my cab isnt actually rated at 4 ohms (i think one speaker may be bad, it kind of buzzes). im not really sure what to do. i bought this amp for 400 and the fan stopped working shortly after which led to the power amp section burning out which cost another 300 to fix. so i think i got screwed over in the money department of it. i dont know if i should get a power amp, and use the direct out's on this amp for a preamp, or to get a whole new amp and sell this one. i wouldnt mind having a 400+...