1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some better gear ASAP, HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffC, Aug 23, 2007.

1. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    So I started playing bass about 6 months ago, also play with a band, I play a lot now and things are progressing nicely.

I started with a Peavey TKO 80w 1x15", sounds like crap but I didn't know any better at the time and it was cheap.

I had borrowed an old Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1 with the matching cab (2x15") from a buddy for a while. It sounded good and cut through the mix well. He took it back recently tho. :crying:

Most recently, I had a gig with my band so I treated myself and rented a Traynor bassmaster XS400H amp and a Traynor 800w 8x8" cab. Sounded great, although I would have prefered a 4x10" or something.

Now that the rented gear has gone back, I am stuck with my old Peavey again and it sounds like complete garbage. I can't even stomach playing through it.

I will be playing small to medium venues and of course practice. I currently play a Ibanez GSR200, nothing special but it gets the job done for now.

What should I be looking at? Maybe a 200w combo or a stack of some sort? I don't want to spend a fortune bit I don't really want to cheap out either. With so many options it is hard to choose. :help:

Thanks for the help!

2. Whar kind of music do you play?

3. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    That would have been a good thing to mention....

Currently I'm playing some pink floyd, zeppelin, greenday, offspring, hootie and the blowfish, some pop stuff, blues and I'm just starting to work at some motown as well.

4. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Since you've mentioned Traynor I'll put my suggestion in for the rig I use: Yorkville XM200 T (200 watt combo with twin 10's and a tweeter) with the mathcing 15" extension cab.

(Traynor and Yorkville ae the same manufacturer)

Straightforward, affordable rig with plenty of power and a smooth, solid tone.

Just my .02

5. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    The Traynor setups were just flukes, I'm not married to them...however they did all work great! Old and new.

What is a setup like that worth? If you don't mind me asking.

6. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If you *really* like the tone of that head, I would say buy the XS800H.

I would look at some Ampeg stuff. It's not really my thing, but tons of guys around here swear by it and Ampeg is popular enough that you should be able to try it out anywhere. Also, look into Pre/Power setups. I never did and now I'm regretting it.

For cabs, go with Dr. Bass or Avatar. They're both cheap and awesome-sounding. I swear by Marc Serio at Dr. Bass.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sounds like you'll be using your stiff quite a bit in variable settings. I highly recommend a head and cabs over a combo if at all within budget. Try for the best head with the most power you can afford, start with 1 cab and build. You'll end up with a modular rig. For eg, a head, 4x10 and 1x15, so you can use one cab alone or the stack. It all depends on budget, of course.

8. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    All-in it was about $1100 CDN.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    +1 It's the way to go. Owning a bunch of combos is a lot more expensive and a lot less flexible than owning a couple heads and cabs.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would try to get at least 250 watts if you are playing out. A head around 250-300 watts @ 8ohms and about 350-400 watts @ 4ohms will give you enough juice to play most venues, especially if you are also going through a PA. I have 425watts @ 4 ohms and sometimes they have to take me out of the PA, so it should be loud enough for most places. If you are on a budget, I would recommed trying to find a used GK 700-RBII. Plenty of juice, good sound, not expensive at all. Add cabs to taste, I would recommend 2 8ohm Avatar cabs in your favorite flavor(2x10, 2x12, 4x10, etc.).

11. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I totally agree with one exception: If you're going with GK and 2 cabs, I'd say get the 1001. A little more headroom is always a good thing!

12. I don't know why, but I would recomend you to try the Ampeg B200R combo, it sounds big, has 200 watts, and has a nice DI out. Just my 2 cents.

13. Go 2nd hand- Ampeg V4 or SVT both all tube so'll suit the stuff U R doin, Or a GK head as mentioned or a MArk Bass LMII amp & Avatar cabs- A LOTTA tones in that li'l amp!
    I'd still go 4 an Ampeg tube, or Traynor YBA200 poss as a 1st choice!

14. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I had that exact same Peavey combo for my first amp!

The setup of a head and a cab (or two) is really smart since there's always something you'll want to add or switch around in the future. Good second hand gear is all over the place and you can put a solid rig together for a whole lot less than shopping for new stuff.

I'm in southern New England and I often get used pieces-parts from Daddy's Junky Music with few worries because they do different warranties on their "pre-owned" inventory. Every time I go into Guitar Center now (which is seldom) I get serious sticker shock.

Cruise the other posts here for cheap rigs that players have put together or suggested to others and you'll get an idea of what to look for. A head with wattage up around 350-400 will keep you in business for a while - the only cheaper brand that everyone loves to knock around here is Behringer. Even Peavey gets a lot of love for their better stuff, so keep researching and shop 'til you drop!

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with the Peavey, it's just that you had a taste of something better - it's a disease called Gear Acquisition Syndrome! :)

Big plus on Yorkville/Traynor, their stuff has a classic sound and it is built like a tank. Ampeg is kinda the Fender P of bass amps, you can't go wrong with an SVT. I hear the GK's are nice too, never used them. You could try your Peavey with a Sansamp BDDI though - this may give you what you're looking for. Peavey's are known for having a fairly mid-rangey tone, which is great for a classic rock punch, but a Solid State pre-amp is typically a lot more transparent than what you may be looking for. The Sansamp BDDI will help with that.

I use a Peavey Max 450 head and 410 cab, and have just started using a BDDI. I still want and all tube head though! :)

Good speakers are a must!

16. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree. For the money it's a great deal. It has all the extras you'll need like effects loop, tuner mute, ability to power an extension cabinet, a very good sound, quite loud and a great warranty. I got one for $595 Canadian at L&M and used it for a year on a lot of gigs. I used the 2x10 version which I think sounds better in a club than the 1x15. A year later I traded it in for a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. Great amp but it should be. It costs over twice as much.

But the Yorkville certainly got the job done.

17. edmund

edmund

Mar 24, 2007
    Boston
    I bought a B200R when they first came out in Feb. 2006. I had problems with the first two as noted in other forums which was a real pain, but now I'm really happy with it. They are all made overseas now - mine's from China. I've giged with it several times and it's done fine in small clubs without amplification. Many people say I'm too loud, which is the way I like it!

Warning! Don't send phantom power into the XLR output! It fried my first B200. I'd personally be really nervous allowing some random soundman to use the XLR output for sound. Who knows what buttons he'd be pushing! I do really like using the XLR while recording rehearsals. Once you set input levels and EQs the master volume does not affect the XLR out, so I can get the rehearsal settings set and leave them and still adjust volume when my bandmates complain!

Having said all that, I'm new to quality equipment, and generally happy with the equipment I have. (for years I played a Peavey T-40 through a Peavey amp. It was fine until we went to record and the engineer told me my sound sucked and made me use his '68 Precision through his high end amp!)

18. LOL

19. I use the Yorkville XS800h (same as the one you rented but twice the power and more features) matched with an Avatar 410neo. Great pair. Enough volume for most people. The cab can handle all I throw at it, and is pretty compact. That's not a "cheap" rig, but it'll last you as long as you want it to and is still VERY affordable and what I would still consider a "budget" rig.

Right now on musiciansfriend the head is going for 760 dollars shipped. The Avatar 410neo is going for 460 shipped with upgraded coloured tolex of your choice. I bought the blonde tolex for mine. That's a rig to your door for $1220 that will last you.