Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some Blues Advice...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Microbass, May 4, 2003.

1. Hey guys,
    We are doing a blues pattern in my music class now at school for inventing work. My own in school on the KB was rather shody, so I'm working on doing a bass line and see if would be aloud to play the bass line instead of the KB.

Anyway. It's a typical pattern, and I'm working on the first line, which is - C/// C/// F/// F///

First of all, my line is kind of upbeat. Jumpy. Do you think this suits a blues pattern? I'll jot it up after my next question...

Time sigs. For the C pattern, I reliased I want to do 3/4, then for the F patterns, 4/4. Think would work out OK?

Thanks for looking. :)

2. here's the first line.

I've changed the F to Eb for now.

For some reason when I scaned this, there's 2 repeats at the end of the last bar... Each should be donw twice. :)

Advice welcomed. :)

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    MicroBass,

...first of all, an "upbeat" bassline certainly works for a 'blues' pattern; assuming the tune is not a "traditional" blues number. But, ... "jumpy"?? Making, or attempting to make it sound "jumpy", will likely make it more of a 'funky' sound; that's certainly not very bluesy.

The alternating time signatures, 3/4 & 4/4, is more or less a 12/8 pattern... check out the bass line from Pink Floyd's "Money".

Personally, unless it's your plan, it appears to me that you're making the bassline too complicated.
    - Your line, especially doing the blues, needs to be rock steady / in the pocket with the drummer. Assuming he / she would be playing a straight 4/4 blues beat, the two - bass and drums, will not be solid.
    Don't understand using the Eb in place of the IV, 'F'??
    - An 'Eb' works nicely as an 'outside the scale' embellishment or passing tone to the 'F'. Utilizing a 'root' a full step down just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me???

Would like to check back in a few days and see what others are saying on this one... michael s.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    If this bassline is for a typical blues piece I will assume the bass is part of a rythm section and not a lead part. If this is the case the purpose of the bass line is to A. give a steady beat that the band feels comfortable with and B. outline the chord progression so the other musicians can the phrases and form. Sorry if this is too blunt but your bassline does neither. The 3/4 4/4 thing is pretty whack, time signature hardly ever changes and when it does it's usually from 4/4 to 2/4 or something subtle like that. I would stick with a good ole 4/4 walking bass line. Generally it is a good idea to start each measure with the root of whatever chord you are using and stick pretty close to the corresponding chord. And as far as the E flat, I would stick to the standard 12 bar blues or at least the same roots. I,IV and V.

5. and just for the record, pink floyd's "money" is in 7/4 with a 4/4 jam section....