1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some buying advice on Bass to PA, please

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], May 28, 2011.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    okay, just looking for the raw facts, not opinions on brands or personal tonal preferences.

i'm looking to get a

Buy Behringer DI20 Ultra DI 2-Channel Active DI Box/Splitter | Direct Boxes | Musician's Friend

and play it into

Buy.com - Pyle PPA450 4500-Watt Rack Power Amplifier

into 2 of these

Pyle PylePro PADH215 Speaker

will that work? do i need a preamp in the middle? will the power amp and cabs play nice together? i've never bought a di or pa, so i'm just cautious and want to ensure that i'm not buying incompatible stuff. thanks in advance for any wisdom

2. What are your goals? If this is a bass rig you will need a preamp but you won't need a DI. If you are building a PA system then you are missing a mixer and a bass rig. It is hard to tell what the power amp you selected can do because the company doesn't publish needed information, such as power @ impedance.

3. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    thanks. sometimes i'm not specific enough. okay, for right now, i just want to play my basses and baritones through it. but eventually i'll get a mixer once i have other people to play with through it. so kind of both. i will buy more crap once i can afford it. but will that setup work for now, for just me?

4. In a word, no. Get a small, cheap mixer, and skip the DI.

5. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    good to know. so should it be a powered mixer?

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Pyle is short for pile of crap which is what you will own if you waste your money on it.

7. No. The power amp provides the power.

8. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    sweet, thanks fellas

9. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    insert sarcastic comment on literacy here __________

10. I'll second the idea of skipping the DI for now and getting a mixer. Technically you should use a DI for impedance matching but you'll definitely get by without it. Just think about it for down the road.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    All you need is a bass head and a good sounding speaker (which I doubt very much is descriptive of the Pyle). If you play through decent PAs with subs, you don't need a big setup - a 12 or pair of 10s is plenty.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Yeah but the pyle amp puts out 4500 watts. :rolleyes: If you want a good laugh download the manual and read the specs PylePro - PPA450 - 19'' Rack 4500 Watt Professional DJ Power Amplifier .

13. to answer your question:

a rig needs preamp + power amp + speaker

the rig you listed is missing a pre-amp. Thats a different thing than a D.I.

a nickels worth of free advice, if you'll read it:

You'd honestly be doing better with a small powered mixer than the poweramp listed here. Search for a used peavey powered mixer and some used peavey PA speakers or something. I know those pyles are cheap and big, but for 150 a speaker you can do better. Looks like your budget is about 500. That should get you a respectable small PA system if you are patient and work the used market.

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

ditto on the above...

I've run tons and tons of times with a $50 craigslist speaker and $50 powered mixer... it makes a great practice space rig when you get ready to move on.