Need some cab advice, please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I've got a rig idea, I'm hoping to go pre/power. Sansamp RBI and Carvin DCM1500. However, I'm having a dilemma when it comes to cabs. I play punk music with a pick (it's pretty fast at times) and I'm hoping for a raunchy, trebley kind of sound, but still with hefty low end and punch. My favorite cab I've played through is an Ampeg 810e. Here are my two main ideas:

Avatar B410 NEO and B210 NEO. About $700, and I'm hoping I'd get close to the punch of the 810 I love so.

Dr. Bass RX212 and RX210. About... $550 I think. And lighter. Really light. And it's got that polymer (something?) coating instead of carpet. I hate carpet.

So the conflict is, I really don't want to always have to use both cabs to get a sound I like, for example, if I'm playing somewhere where more than one cab is totally uncalled for. Is the Dr. Bass 212 alone not going to work well for the sound I'm after? I always hear about how great 212s are as standalone cabs... would they be lacking in the raunchy trebley punch department?

and does Dr. Bass make a 410? The website seems to be... gone.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would go with the all ten approach. for years i played with a 4x10 and 2x10
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if'n it's your favorite, get the Ampeg 810e

if not, the ampeg is a sealed box... the avatars are ported and will be worlds different. if portability is an issue, look for a sealed 6x10 or 4x10
  4. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    the portability is definitely an issue. It's big... I'm small. It wouldn't be pretty.

Also, I've never played through 12s before. No opportunity. So it seems to me that the all 10s approach is the answer, but the portability and non-carpetness of Dr. Bass is so appealing. Does anyone know if Dr. Bass makes a 410?
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    How about a pair of Ampeg SVT-410HEs? They're internally partitioned into two 2x10s and of infinite baffle (sealed) construction making them essentially halves of the SVT810. Granted they have a tweeter but that can be turned down if the mood strikes you.

They're covered in Tolex so no carpet woes either...
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    I just looked at your profile and saw that you have owned an SVT-410HE...did that give you the sound that you want?
  7. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i like the idea of a 410 and a 210.
    this gives great portability, plus if you have a decent amp
    your going to be able to dominate the stage.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    James suggested it already.....get the Ampeg 810.

Yeah, it's big, heavy and difficult to move around. It is also exactly what you want. Most guys here would be willing to sacrifice one or more of the above to get the exact tone they want. You settle for less, and you'll always be comparing what you bought to what you wanted.

9. BeeBassist

Oct 24, 2004
    Do yoyr self a favor and check out AccuGroove any model will do ...they all will shake your dental work lose.
    El Whappo to the tri 210 AccuGroove cabs will get the job done for ya.I'll never play anything else...
    Really check them out ;you'llbe glad you did :hyper:

Bee Basses Rule :ninja: :bassist: :ninja:
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Definitely +1

A 6.10" result due to a combination of a 2.10 and a 4.10 is awesome! Portability is a nice point too, a 6.10" is as bulky as it is heavy. Not perfect to put in a medium sized car if you know what I mean.

Watch the ohm section.... in my opinion: take a 2.10 with twice the resistance of a 4.10. The 2.10 will get half the power of the 4.10, which could be just perfect, because the 2.10 has half of the speakers. (IMHO)
  11. In answer to your question(s), I believe that the folks at Dr Bass will build a 410 (and used to do so) but they will also tell you that their 212 has basically taken the place of the 410, and I would think it to be a lighter smaller unit. I play the rx212 and it has a lot of low end but is very clear on the top as well. The finish is very much something to buy the cab for as well b/c it is durable and you can keep it clean. You will find all the Dr. Bass cabs to be fairly efficient and loud.

The sound of any ported 210 or 410 (or 212) is likely to be different than the 810 Ampeg.
  12. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    see, it's not that the ampeg 810 would be inconvienent, it's that it'd be nearly impossible. I don't know where I'd keep it, how I'd move it around, or how I would fit it in my car. It was my FAVORITE, but I don't think it'd drive me too crazy to have something else.

I'm sure that I'd like just about any 410, seeing as there haven't really been any I didn't like. However, everyone recommends the 212s these days, and they're cheaper, and they're lighter, so I feel like I should look into it. I'm just wondering if they'll work (when alone) for the sound I'm after, or if they'll be all rumble and no punch/high.
  13. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Funny how things change.

Does anybody else remember when fifteens and eighteens were everywhere and twelves were generally considered "guitar speakers"?

How did we get from there to thinking that twelves aren't tight enough? :)

Try some twelves. Preferably, try several different cabs with twelves, since they'll all be different. You might like some. Nothing anybody says will sway you one way or the other until you try some.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Yossarian...any comment on the 410HE? You could always get FOUR 210HEs instead:D
  15. From all the info I've read, Dr. Bass cabs are superior to Avatar cabs. I have an RX-115 on order right now.

Marc (Dr. Bass) is still in business and is selling some cabs on eBay right now. His user id = graymanblues

I've owned Avatar cabs and was not impressed with them.
  16. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    BillyB, I thought about getting 2 410HEs, but each one is still a good bit heavier than I'm hoping for, and they're quite a bit more expensive than I'd hope for.
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you can afford it, I recommend a Schroeder 410 -- 23"x23"x16" and 78 lbs.

Kicks A$$!
  18. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Slow down!!!!!! You already stated your answer! Get as many Dr Bass cabs as you can afford given your OHM capabilities. Same speakers as the beloved, World Famous Ampegs, a hell of a lot lighter, and coated with the bonus Polymer coating. The 2x12 and 2x10 is on my list and I'm an Ampeg owner. Soon my Ampeg head will be throwing through Dr Bass (I can only hope)