Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some cab advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jugghaid, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I just picked up a Glockenklang Heartcore head. it's 400W @ 4ohms. I'm phyched about the head but now I need new cabs to run it through. I can either get a 4 ohm cab or 2 8 ohm cabs. I can't run this below 4 ohms. What I'm looking for is a great cab setup worthy of the amp that will give me great clarity, but volume is an issue as well. It needs to be at least as loud as my current rig.

Right now I'm playing a Sansamp RBI through a SRW Silverado Special and Eden 115T. It's pumping out 450W @ 2.6ohms. Lous as hell with that RBI in there. What can I get to match up with this bad boy that will be reasonable and kick out the volume with pristine tone? My budget is about $1700 for the cabs. I found a Glock 212 for that much but for $1700 I would rather have 2 cabs and more than 2 cones pushing air.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Your first concern should be getting a high-efficiency cab (or two).

I would suggest you check out a couple of 8 ohm Eden D-210XST cabs.

Also, Check out a Bag End S15B-D together with an S15X-D (8 ohms apiece) (or possibly just one D10BX-D - 4 ohm).

Any of those three systems should get pretty loud.

If the Heartcore has good dynamic headroom (and I bet it does), you should also check out the Bergantino HT322. It is rated at 104db sensitivity, but I have heard they sound best with plenty of spare power. I believe it is a 3-way cab (1x12, 2x10s, & a wonderful HF driver - 4 ohm).

Good luck in your hunt.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks for the reply lo-freq. Actually I'm considering a 410XST or 210XST as I already have a 115T. It's on the list to check out definitely.

Bergs are there as well. Problem is not too many people have this head so I don't know how much headroom it will actually have. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you email Glock, they should be able to give you a spec, generally given in db (of course, that's not the same a finding out subjectively for yourself).

If your amp is rated at 400W and IF it had 3db dynamic headroom, it would have 800W of transient power; if it had 6db of headroom would be 1600W transient.

5. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Cool. I just got off the phone with Uwe at Salwender (the us distributor for Glockenklang) and he didn't have the exact specs but said this thing is way louder than the specs indicate. There is also a preamp out I can utilize if necessary for a seperate power amp.